Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hereafter

Review Time! This book has been sitting on my shelf for an age and it seemed unfair to read new releases when this one was just waiting to be read! Hereafter by Tara Hudson was a 2011 YA Debut (I think) and it seemed like a good read! Thanks to Harpercollins for the review copy!

(Goodreads) Can there truly be love after death?
Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no recollection of her past life—or her actual death—she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. All of this changes when she tries to rescue a boy, Joshua, from drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but will him to live. Yet in an unforgettable moment of connection, she helps him survive.
Amelia and Joshua grow ever closer as they begin to uncover the strange circumstances of her death and the secrets of the dark river that held her captive for so long. But even while they struggle to keep their bond hidden from the living world, a frightening spirit named Eli is doing everything in his power to destroy their newfound happiness and drag Amelia back into the ghost world . . . forever.
The Short Story? – A poignant ghost story about forbidden love. Hudson has written an eerily beautiful debut about a girl stuck in limbo and how saving a life could save your own. A bittersweet plot with a dark twist, Hudson has taken a unique approach and has given an original twist to traditional ghost stories. A haunting that’s worth the read!

The Long Story? – There were both goods and bads about the novel (mainly goods) but it came through as a solid read. I loved the romance aspect of the novel. It was a very cute and authentic love, I felt Amelia and Joshua really had a connection. The kissing scenes were very swoon-worthy! What I didn’t like was the insta-love. There was no build up, maybe it’s because death brought them together and it was a love at first death thing but I would have honestly like to see some build-up. Hudson has beautiful prose and reading Hereafter was very comfortable and it was a very speedy read. There wasn’t much conflict (quite a peaceful read!) and I just thought that the romance really stood out from the rest!

Characterization - I loved the fact that Amelia was very noble, she was willing to sacrifice her freedom and her life-after-death for someone who held little meaning to her. She was kind-hearted, she wants to save lives and she could really sympathize with others. However some of her actions really contradicted with her personality.  I can’t imagine her as someone who would squeak and totally just close-up when she’s around a guy and really they were just bad word choices from the author but there were moments like that which really made me cringe.  Joshua was a sweetheart, the attraction is understandable. Aside from a few hiccups it was a good cast.

More than anything, Hudson really has worked in the originality factor when it comes to ghost stories. I’m more used to ghosts who cause trouble and kill people rather than saving lives. The romance was really sweet, I wish Amelia and Joshua would just keep kissing!!! Beautiful prose, a ghost story with a dark twist and a forbidden romance. Hudson has written a solid debut!

What’s its Worth? – Hand Over the Paycheck

Badass Bookie xx

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I absolutely loved this book when I read it last year and I especially loved Joshua! What a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked this. I've been meaning to read it for AGES. *shakes head* It came out when I just started out blogging so I missed it ;) Will catch up soon hopefully! If not soon then..some time when the sequel's out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember really liking the romance in this book and I'm definitely interested in reading the next book; loved the ghost angle!

    ReplyDelete