Friday, December 31, 2010

Shade

Review Time! I'm going along with the flow, so read and review and than read some more. I participating in the Out With a Bang Readathon so I reading and reading and reading. I've got about four more debuts to read before the end of tomorrow. Unlikely, but I'll give it a try.

Love ties them together. Death can't tear them apart.
Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last.
Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone.

Well, sort of.

Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan's violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost.

It doesn't help that Aura's new friend Zachary is so understanding—and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.

As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart...and clues to the secret of the Shift.


The Short Story ? - It was a surprisingly short book! Not literally but it took me a day to read it and with 300 pages I would have thought it should have taken me longer. I haven't read any reviews of Shade before I picked up the book and honestly I didn't know what it was about ( no blurb or anything) but I quite enjoyed reading something I was clueless about!

The Long Story ? - The best way I can sum up this book is - average. I simply don't know what to think of it other than it was good. The goods and bads balance each other and it just wasn't good or bad enough to be more than average. I actually googled other bloggers review on this book and many have said they loved it but it just wasn't anything special for me.

I enjoyed the book and found it very interesting, especially since it's a paranormal that focuses on ghosts instead of the usual vampires. The idea of the Shift ( everyone born after the Shift can communicate with ghosts) is very clever and I would  think a great deal of research and thinking was required for this YA debut. The writing was comfortable and the beginning of the book was really great. Another great thing about this book is that the pages fly, it was so easy to read that I didn't even notice I finished until there wasn't another page to flick. This brings us to the "bads" of the book.

Problem One, abrupt ending, it wasn't a cliff hanger it was just abrupt. The last few pages weren't even that exciting, no action in epic proportions or any proportion on my radar and yet it ended with I quote - "Wow". Um, talk about abrupt?

Problem Two, the plot was quite boring. I think that this would be one of those series' that gets better with each book. However, I feel that the author should have put a little more action into the first book and maybe given a few answers. Like baiting the readers. It just seemed a little dry to me, the idea behind the whole plot was clever with the Shift but the plot itself was like I said a little boring or dry.

Overall, I feel that putting aside the dry plot and the abrupt the ending the book was actually really good. If it has a little more action I think I would have loved it. However, under these circumstances I would say that the good and bad balanced out each other giving this debut an average rating, okay maybe a bit higher. Although, it could have been better it was still a great book and I think that if you looking for something original - read this :) Rating - 3.5/5

Badass Bookie xx

5 comments:

  1. It's too bad you didn't like it as much as some of the other bloggers I know. I've got this one in my TBR pile and I think I'll hold off bumping it to the top of my list for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I just thought you might be interested in a book giveaway I'm hosting. Check it out at amandarosetew.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  3. after reading the information turned out to be very interesting, continue continue gan
    good luck,always success
    awaited next posting steady proceed
    obat penyempitan tulang belakang
    obat kista tiroid tanpa operasi
    pengobatan herbal penyakit parkinson
    obat benjolan di kelopak mata
    obat hemangioma tradisional

    ReplyDelete
  4. a great reading the contents of all,terimaksih banyak untuk informasinya
    cara menyembuhkan varikokel

    ReplyDelete