Thursday, December 9, 2010

Day Nine - All About ... Lia Habel ( Dearly, Departed)

Fifth debutante today! I finding I have less and less to say each day because everyone knows the drill, and I just can' wait to get down to business so you know what? I will shut up and just get on with it....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Debutante Profile

Photograph by Winter Wolf Studio
Name - Lia Habel
Debut - Dearly, Departed ( Click HERE )
Genre - Steampunk/Paranormal/Sci-Fi
Website - Click HERE
Twitter - Click HERE

My name is Lia, and I’m an upcoming author of young adult fiction who is currently focusing her creative efforts on the lives of the living dead. All in good fun, of course. I’m a serious writer, hyperactive geek, and flighty horror movie fan.










Dream Debutante Dress -


Not so much of a dream anymore - that's Lia : Photograph by Winter Wolf Studio
 























~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Author's Own Message ( ie when they talk about themselves :P)

I’m very grateful to have had the chance to live a life that’s allowed me to realize my dreams and aesthetic desires. Which is my fancy way of saying, as a way of summing this little intro up: I’ve worn my ideal debutante dress! It’s not white, but still!
 
Greetings! I always feel odd writing about myself, as I tend to view myself as cronically uninteresting, but here goes:

I’m a geek girl anachronist from a small city in New York (my hometown is located about as far as it’s physically possible to get from New York City and still be in the same state). I live with my three cats, and lead a quiet life that blends elaborate hair accessories with horror movies on a regular basis. I have a ton of different interests – comic books, museums, action flicks, nail polish. I pretty much swing from “girly-girl” to “tomboy” on an hourly basis.

From a young age I’ve also been interested in times past – the Victorian era, in particular. As I’ve gotten older I’ve embraced this part of my personality, doing my best to incorporate facets of Victorianism into my (very happily) modern life. I tend to view myself as a “cyber-Victorian,” if such a sub-genre of steampunk/Victorianism exists. I like to describe my ideal Neo-Victorian world by telling people to imagine a girl in a gorgeous bustle dress accessing her email via a holographic display – and that’s the type of world I write about in DEARLY, DEPARTED.

My book takes zombies, paranormal romance, neo-Victorianism, steampunkishness, and lots and lots of guns and gowns and tumbles everything together into a story that’s equal parts passionate and tongue-in-cheek. I take inspiration from almost every part of my life, but most of all, I strive to have fun with my writing. I try not to take myself too seriously, and always welcome the opportunity to meet new people and learn new things.

I'm really looking forward to debuting in 2011, and remain,

Lia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the time you read this I would have probably read through this little paragraph at least a billion times. After Lia's amazingly 'proper' english, I feel like I'm living up to the world's expectations as a Aussie bogan (which I'm certainly not - well not that much of a bogan :P) The only thing that can make me feel worse is if I made a spelling mistake which I probably did.... Anyway thanks Lia and remember to come back tomorrow for a giveaway....

Badass Bookie xx

29 comments:

  1. This looks like a great read! Thanks for the message, Lia, and your book will definitely be going on my must-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love steampunk too. Will add Lia's book to my TBR list. The world needs more geeks to stand up and be proud, thanks for doing your part Lia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview. What a fabulous imagination Lia has. I hope her book is a success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neo-Victorian, steampunkishness, love it! You are far from being uninteresting! :D I'll definitely be looking forward to reading Dearly, Departed when it's out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lia, your world sounds amazing. This sounds like a really cool book and will definitely be reading it next year. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool, thanks for introducing us to Lia! Can't wait to read Dearly, Departed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Lia's writing :) I'm really curious about her book now I've read her portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous photos! Lia is really pretty (and those clothes! Gah! I want them!). I really enjoyed her "about me", as well. Her writing flows so well! I'm definitely looking forward to reading her debut.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lia looks like a pixie. I like everything about this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a great future read. Love the dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodluck Lia, with your new book
    I hope I can read it

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book is going to be a hit! Can't wait to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm very tempted to tell you that after reading your last paragraph I scrolled back up to the top couple of lines, searched for any spelling mistakes you made, snickered to myself, then debated whether or not to tell you I found two :P But that's just terrible of me and really, don't take it personally. I officially love you - you're a fellow Aussie, an awesome blogger and you're introducing me to some amazing 2011 debuts. So feel free to hit me for the above LOL.

    I also officially love Lia Habel. But I suppose I can't expect anything less than a brilliant and interesting author from what I've read about Dearly Departed. And I just love that dress she's wearing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully written, Lia. Basing off from your paragraph, I'm sure that DEARLY, DEPARTED is going to be just as sophisticated in its writing style. Can't wait! :D I'm quite jealous that you've had the opportunity to WEAR your ideal deb dress, as I'm sure all everyone else is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read steampunk yet, but this one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That deb dress is beautiful, I love steampunk/Victorian fashion. From reading the post I can't wait to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this cover looks gorgeus...:)

    raluk.93 at gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it's hilarious that you go from girly to tomboy so quickly (maybe because I do the same thing sometimes)!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, gorgeous deb dress! A Neo-Victorian world sounds amazing, I love her creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I actually haven't heard about Dearly, Departed so it's nice to be introduced to it. Lia's dream dress is really beautiful, and Lia, I think you're very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That dress is pretty, but Lia, you are gorgeous AND talented. Wow...I'm really stunned!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So not only does your book sound insanely cool (zombies, steampunk, victorian era omg!) but you're gorgeous too! Can't wait for the book!

    ReplyDelete
  23. She looks so interesting! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that author message possibly as much as I love those photos/that dress!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lia looks so pretty
    and this was a cool interview thanks

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMGosh the pictures are so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love that dress and let me be honest I haven't read any steampunk yet but I have been so eager.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love it. This is an awesome giveaway. So excited for it. Hoping to win.

    ReplyDelete