Friday, December 3, 2010

Guardian of the Dead

Review Time! Not part of the 2011 Debutante Event! Just part of my job as a book reviewer! :P Anyway, 2010 is nearly over and well I still have so many debuts to read that I frantically trying to read them all before the end of the year, not impossible but very unlikely so I'm trying to take down as many as I can. I have been told that I have OCD ( by many people) maybe that has something to do with reading them all in 2010...

The Short Story ? - Something I like to call efficient reading! A history lesson, a background on Maori culture ( ie New Zealand native culture) AND a interesting and enjoyable debut! *fist pump* I feel smarter already!

Which cover to you like better I received a copy of the second one but I like the first one better.

The Long Story ? - Above all written literature it is the YA novels which roll enjoyment and learning into one pretty awesome book that I respect most of all, with the exception of witty books with hot guys ( ie. Mortal Instruments series or Clockwork Angel or anything be Cassandra Clare for the matter) and beautiful forbidden romances with hot guys ( ie Vampire Academy... 4 DAYS! START COUNTING DOWN PEOPLE!) and YA books in general ...with hot guys.

Guardian of the Dead can be categorised as one of those informative but interesting and enjoyable YA novels. Readers can explore the mysteries of Maori culture and traditions while reading an addictive fantasy debut, now, that is what I call smart reading.

I have to say that the first 100 pages or so were pretty slow paced. However, it was all worth it in the end! The Guardian of the Dead is probably one of the most memorable debuts I have read this year, it has a element that s extremely rare to come by these days ...originality. Ladies and Gent, I have to say that this is probably the only book that I can remember reading that has NO cliches. Okay so 'apparently the guy is hot' but really red hair ( auburn I can handle but apparently it's like red, the only guy I can imagine with red hair is that guy of One Piece with the scar on his face which isn't really a hottie) isn't the biggest turn on for me so you see even the guy isn't part of a cliche.

Hot guy or not aside, Guardian of the Dead is one of those books that will stick around for a long time after you have finished the last page. Strong Heroine, unique plot, highly respected literature ( for me) and a fantastic debut for Karen Herley. Rating 4/5

Badass Bookie xx

3 comments:

  1. Great Review. I bought this a while back and it has been hiding on my TBR read shelf behind several stacks. Think I need to pull it out and get it read.

    also thanks for participating in my 21 Day B&B Bash. I appreciate it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I devoured Guardian of the Dead back in the spring, and it's still one of my favorite reads of 2010. Glad you got to enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting ," the long story"
    I like the first cover better .

    ReplyDelete