Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Day One - All about ... Julia Karr (XVI)

Hello Everyone! *waves frantically* Welcome to the first day of the 2011 Debutante Event! I am very very very excited for this event after all the hard work the debs and I have put in so enjoy it! Today...I welcome my very first Debutante, Julia Karr, who is the author of XVI! (ie one of the hottest dystopian debuts of 2011) So everyone remember your blogging etiquette and give and a BIG welcome to Julia!!! Yay!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Debutante Profile 

Name - Julia Karr
Debut - XVI ( Click HERE)
Genre - Dystopian
Website - Click HERE
Twitter -  Click HERE
Julia Karr was born in Indiana, and moved to Chicago when she was fifteen. After the initial culture shock of going from quiet, small town living to Carl Sandburg’s, “stormy, husky, brawling,” metropolis, she fell madly in love with the city. Her schooling in the art of writing came from reading, voraciously. While students were being forced to read the classics, Julia was busy going on author binges. As a young mother, reading books to, and eventually with, her daughters, she fell head-over-heels for children’s literature. Not a far stretch for someone who had loved reading since the age of three. While still working a nine-to-five job, after hours Julia can be found at home, sitting on the couch tapping out stories on her laptop, with one of several cats draped behind her and her dogs sleeping nearby.
Dream debutante dress -


Julia's Dream Debutante Dress
























Author's Own Message ( ie when they talk about themselves :P)

And, a few additional things, straight from the horse’s, er, uh... author’s keyboard!

Since I have a full-time day job, I don’t have much “spare time.” However, I actually love going to the gym, although I’m not *buff* by any stretch of the imagination (not even my own writely imagination!)


I have four (yep, 4) cats and two dogs, who are my cohorts in crime. The dogs make few editorial comments, but the cats... ME-OW! They sprawl across the keyboard, or my hands as I’m trying to type. They push my pen when I’m writing longhand, beg to be fed/brushed/petted whenever I’m right in the middle of a crucial scene. Their ideas of what a writer does, and mine - are often two incredibly different things! But, I wouldn’t trade them for the universe, because there is nothing quite like a purring cat curled up on your lap. Yeah...

I’ve been a vegetarian (vegan-leaning) for nearly twenty years.

I love to write, but even more so, I HAVE to write. Why? Because I’ve got all these stories crowding my brain that will not quit bugging me until I get them written!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Julia! Now guys what do you think? You guys have just finished reading the VERY first post for the 2011 Debutante Event! Not only did you guys get to see Julia's dream debs dress BUT you know have the insiders scoop on her personal life! Seriously vegetarian for twenty years??? Guys, I tried this and I gave up after three days.... wow. Anyway, thank-you Julia so much for kicking of the 2011 Debutante Event! And to everyone else, tomorrow Julia is coming back to do a feature on her debut XVI so stop over..and there will be a giveaway ( of what? not telling :P) Just make sure you come back tomorrow!

Badass Bookie xx

21 comments:

  1. That dress is so pretty. :) Authors with pets are awesome. I'm always so interested in people who own both cats and dogs, because my house has never had that coolio dynamic in the way of pets.

    "I love to write, but even more so, I HAVE to write. Why? Because I’ve got all these stories crowding my brain that will not quit bugging me until I get them written!"

    I love that. That's coming straight from a true author. You'd better get to scheduling those darned posts, Lisa! Should have been done a few days ago, but I'll give you a break. You still have school. :P

    Oh, and yeah I can't wait for XVI! The cover is so unique. Plus, I loves me my dystopian novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is gorgeous. I cannot wait to read this book! I LOVE a good dystopia. I'll definitely be back tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot! I have Julia on my blog tomorrow!! (Totally bragging). And I LOVE this deb thing (may I be one?!?!? MAY I?!?!? MAY I?!?!? er. Excuse that, there. :) *runs to google beautiful deb gowns just in case I need one*

    (I may be slightly overcaffeinated today. And silly. But, I love this feature!)

    Gae Polisner
    The Pull of Gravity, May 2011
    http://gaepolisner.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the dress, she reminds me spring :)

    Thank you for this great first post of Debutantes event. As a very curious person, I have to say it was a pleasure to read it ;p

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress is pretty and like the user above me said, reminds me of spring!

    XVI seems reall interesting and I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly couldn't be a strict vegetarian. I don't like most meat, but I don't think I could skip out on my grandmother's stuffed turkey on Thanksgiving or my mom's baked duck on Christmas, so delicious.

    The dress is rather pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the dress! It's really pretty. I don't think I could ever be a vegan either. I like my meat too much.

    I understand about the cats thing. I have four myself and they all want attention at different times so it's an endless cycle of crying in this house until I pick one of them up.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I love that Julia is such an animal lover! We have that in common.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo, that dress is so pretty. I want my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the dress! This was an interesting post, and makes me more excited for this book to be released!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm very excited to read your book! I just received an ARC from a book tour hehe :D

    Your dress is pretty, and I already love your pets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dress is pretty! And your cover is very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute dress, I love the floral pattern! My kitty is just the same, but I love her to bits too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, 4 cats and 2 dogs! And they all live in harmony? I can't even get my 2 cats to get along with each other, let alone with animals of another species. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My dogs are kind of like her cats when I'm using the computer--except it's usually one large paw slapped across my keyboard or a tennis ball ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The dress is gorgeous, thanks for such a wonderful interview, I been wanting to read XVI since I have seen it around the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete