Debut – Dualed
Genre – Dystopian/ Sci-Fi
I grew up in Prince George, BC, before graduating from the University of British Columbia with a BA in English Literature. I currently live in Vancouver with my husband and two kids, where I write to either movies on a loop or music turned up way too loud (and sometimes both at the same time).
Notes from a YA Debutante
I’m really excited and very flattered to be a Badass Bookie 2013 Debutante. Because if you know me in real life, the words “debutante” and “Elsie” and “Chapman” do not really go together. I own t-shirts with Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine and the tiger from The Hangover printed on them; flip flops are a staple, even in the rain. So how could I pass up Lisa’s invite to participate? Only in this post can I dream about wearing a dress this short with high heels in which I can actually walk. Plus, the pockets won me over. And origami-inspired pleating! The elegance of that added touch almost makes up for the questionable (for me) length.
Now here’s my list of weird and random facts about me. Lisa, thank you so much for asking me to be a part of the 2013 Debutantes! (Bookie's Note: The pleasure is all mine!)
1. My favourite candy is probably black licorice. But it has to be stale, so I leave the bag open for a few days before eating. Often all in one sitting, I have to admit.
2. During my first year of university, our dorm floor decided we’d all go as Grecians to the Halloween dance. I found out the hard way that wearing just a bed sheet tied into a toga without any additional coverage on top underneath wasn’t such a great idea.
3. I’m way more scared of ghosts and demonic possession than break-ins or muggings.
4. I’m not physically capable of wearing pants with elastic waistbands. So all I own are jeans with hard closures and pants with drawstrings.
5. The first time I brought my then-boyfriend-now-husband up north to my hometown for Christmas, he couldn’t figure out why his nose felt so funny as soon as we were outdoors. I took great joy in telling him he was experiencing the sensation of having his nose hairs literally freeze.
6. I can’t swim. I can barely drive. I also have zero sense of direction (I still get lost in my own neighbourhood, and I’ve lived here for ten years.). Which means I would more than likely be the first to be eliminated in any reality show.
7. When I get stressed out or need a break from writing or editing, I make gifs and gifsets for my tumblr. My husband has seen the state of my folders on my laptop. He says I might have a problem.
8. I love jrock and have a thing for bishounen.
9. I once found living worms in the pistachios that I was eating. Those particular nuts been ruined for me forever, in nearly every way, shape, and form.
10. My favourite donut is the Honey Cruller from Tim Horton’s, followed closely by Long Johns, Sour Cream Glazed, Apple Fritters, Chocolate Glazed, Double Chocolate, Jelly-Filled (any flavour), Old Fashion Glazed, and Honey Dip. As you can tell, I really miss eating wheat sometimes!
Bookie's Note: There you have it! Our very first debutante of 2013! Elsie, I love red licorice but I can't stand black licorice, it's too bitter for me! I'm not much of a pants person in general, I much prefer to wear skirts and dresses 365 days a year! I wish I knew what jrock and bishounen is but I really don't - is it an american thing?
Make sure to come back tomorrow for the second half of Elsie's feature! We have some juicy secrets lined up and a fantastic giveaway!
Badass Bookie xx