Genre – Contemporary
As a teenager, Erica Lorraine Scheidt studied creative writing at the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics. Now a visiting artist at the Berkeley Teen Center and longtime volunteer at 826 Valencia, she works with teen writers in the San Francisco Bay Area. She's currently working on a new young adult novel from her studio at Headlands Center for the Arts and lives in Berkeley with her girlfriend and stepdaughter and two dogs.
Notes from a YA Debutante
Some random facts about me:
1) I only discovered poetry after falling in love.
2) I moved to New Orleans to become a Great American Writer. It didn’t work. Later I tried to moved to Borneo to become a Great American Writer. That also didn’t work.
3) I dropped out of high school and got a GED when I was 15.
4) I own about 17 millions pairs of blue jeans.
5) My dream collaborators are Rookie Magazine, Olivia Bee and Francesca Lia Block.
6) I got a tattoo when I was 16. I covered it up with a new tattoo when I sold Uses for Boys.
7) I love the rain. I love walking in the rain. And mostly, more than anything, I love wandering aimlessly in the rain.
8) I grin. A lot. I have a smile bigger than a house. I try really hard to look serious, but I just don’t have it in me.
9) I’m not exactly sure what a nerdfighter is, but I’ve never met a nerdfighter I didn’t like.
10) I have a hound dog puppy. I love my hound dog puppy. My hound dog puppy might be the death of me.
Bookie's Note: Erica, I LOVE the rain! There is something nice about walking aimlessly in the rain while listening to sad love ballads or alternative rock. What new tattoo did you get?!? I'm dying to know! The best cure to everything is to smile, I love to smile and make people laugh, I guess this makes us twinsies! :D
Make sure to come back tomorrow for the second half of Erica's feature! We have some juicy secrets lined up and a fantastic giveaway!
Badass Bookie xx