Monday, February 7, 2011

Radiant Shadows

Review Time! Last month I left my Bucket List challenge review to the very last minute so I decided that I'm going to do my February review earlier on, meaning today! If you checked out my January Review you would know that for the challenge I have a different review formatting!

Name - Radiant Shadows ( Wicked Lovely #4 )

Pages - 340 pages
Publication Date - April 20th 2010
Publisher- Harpercollins
Rating 3/5

(Goodreads) Hunger for nourishment. Hunger for touch. Hunger to belong.

Half-human and half-faery, Ani is driven by her hungers.

Those same appetites also attract powerful enemies and uncertain allies, including Devlin. He was created as an assassin and is brother to the faeries' coolly logical High Queen and to her chaotic twin, the embodiment of War. Devlin wants to keep Ani safe from his sisters, knowing that if he fails, he will be the instrument of Ani's death.

Ani isn't one to be guarded while others fight battles for her, though. She has the courage to protect herself and the ability to alter Devlin's plans—and his life. The two are drawn together, each with reason to fear the other and to fear for one another. But as they grow closer, a larger threat imperils the whole of Faerie. Will saving the faery realm mean losing each other?

Why I picked this book ? - As I explained in my sign up post, I'm taking the challenge as the motivation to read all the sequels I haven't gotten around to reading! Before I started blogging, I used to read anything I want, whenever I want. I still get to read books I want but the choices are still somewhat limited :P ( not complaining though) so this challenge is the perfect excuse to read all the books I wanted to read but didn't get to!

Was it worth it ? - Honestly, I don't know. I love this series and this book was great but I can't help thinking that this one was one of the more boring ones.

Brief Thoughts ? - For me, Radiant Shadows wasn't up to the standards of the other three books. I somewhat felt that the author just threw two random characters in and wrote up a storm. Ani and Devlin were both briefly introduced in the first three books but they definitely weren't significant parts of the series. I can't help think that this book could have been more focused on characters with bigger roles in the previous books.

However, the writing was great as always! Dark, sinful and seductive. The plot was alright, it had action and it ties to the first three books, I didn't find it as interesting but nevertheless it was good. I loved Seth and Sorcha's part in this, their Mother & Son relationship is really starting to blossom which is great to see! Hardly any Aislinn and no sign of Keane or Donna.

This book mainly focused on the Dark Court. I felt I developed a soft spot of Irial who is a totally sweetie. After reading Ink Exchange I was all for Team Niall but after reading Radiant Shadows, I'm not so sure. they're a re both handsome and sweet in their own way!

Overall, Radiant Shadows wasn't quite up to the standards of the previous books however it was still enjoyable to a point. I felt that if Ani and Devlin were supposed to play a major part in the this novel they should have had bigger roles in the previous books but ...that's just me =)

Would I recommend it ? - ehhh, yes! It's a really great series and I 'm not going to let something like this come between me and the faerie courts!!! You should totally read it ;)

Badass Bookie xx

3 comments:

  1. I agree, I think this isn't quite as good as the first two books, but still a good series. I hope the last one is good, I miss hot Seth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well. I like this series, but sometimes the constant changing in characters confuses me and I can quite connect the dots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the first book the best. I think though that she's trying to focus on the different courts and new characters in each book.

    ReplyDelete