Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Delirium

Review Time! So everyone knows that Delirium is one of the most anticipated releases of the year and almost everyone has read it by now. I was sent a review copy a few weeks ago and I could like to thank Hachette for that! I finished this last week and here are my thoughts …

(Goodreads) Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.



The Short Story? – It’s difficult to explain really. I have all these thought in my head that are a big jumble which refuse to transfer to paper. All I can say is that it was fantastic. I loved it, all of it, the plot, the beautiful writing, the characters and more than anything the romance. Definitely worth the wait!

The Long Story? – Truth be told, I wasn’t all that keen about Delirium when the new first got out about Lauren Oliver’s new book. I’m one of those people who judge books by covers and for me the cover of Delirium wasn’t love at first sight. It was a taking-it-slow romance, something that I saw beauty in as time went by.

It wasn’t until I heard the words – love and dystopian, that I took the time to Google the blurb and it turned out to be very interesting. I not a huge fan of dystopian (I’ll explain why in this week’s edition of Breakfast with the Bookie) but I always like the ideas of world domination that the authors come up with. I’m also a romance junkie so really Delirium was like hitting the jackpot. (EUREKA)

The plot and the idea behind the plot was the highlight for me. I’ve already mentioned my love for wacky ideas of world domination so when a smart author came up with the concept of Love is a disease, it was pretty awesome. The plot itself was great too, very dystopianish, all about finding yourself and fighting for what is right. I (kinda) spoiled the ending for myself when I peeked but nevertheless I enjoyed the books from start to finish. There isn’t really a pace to the book, it’s like ever-changing from fast to slow and then fast again.

The characters were fantastic. Lena was the perfect teenager, never questioning, obedient and just normal. She was someone we could relate to (although I not all that never questioning and obedient). She had her flaws whether they were physical or emotional and her actions could easily reflect ours. Alex is just…amazing. He’s good looking, caring and a total sweetie who cares about Lena. He’s an outsider trying to fit among people who clearly don’t understand him. The romance between the two is to die for. Not in the ‘hormones over rule everything, all about passion way’ but the ‘I generally care for you and would love you no matter what way’ (and yes, there is a difference). For me, the romance was just the cherry on top.

In my opinion, Delirium was like finding the perfect pair of shoes (sorry for the lame comparison). You find dozens if not hundreds of shows that are comfortable and quite pretty but a pair of shoes that is everything you ever wanted if hard to come by. For me Delirium was that book, after writing 600 words I still can’t quite explain my thoughts about this book but I truly did love it and I honestly believe that if you haven’t read it you should give it a try because it just might be your perfect pair of shoes ;) Rating 5/5

Badass Bookie xx

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the fantastic review. I just bought this. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is coming to me in the mail--can't wait!!
    Oh and p.s, your book may be arriving this week *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. This is at the top of my wishlist. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete