Monday, February 14, 2011

Glass House

Review Time! I recently received the first three books in the Morganville Vampires series from Penguin. I have kept an eye for the this series for AGES but it's never been pulished in AUS before Penguin took the matters into their own hands so... now I have to chance ;)

(Goodreads) It's a small college town filled with quirky characters. But when the sun goes down, the bad comes out. Because in Morganville, there is an evil that lurks in the darkest shadows - one that will spill out into the bright light of day.


Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. The popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks on the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero. And Claire really doesn't have the right connections - to the undead who run the town.

When Claire heads off campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Hew new roommates don't show many signs of life. But they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood...
 
The Short Story ? - Glass House has not failed to meet my expectations! Great plot, fantastic characters and the classic take on vampires that hasn't been used in the YA genre in a long time. I loved it! Fast-paced and addictive start to a vampire series loved by many ;)

The Long Story ? - It's no secret that Vampire fiction overpopulates the YA genre, two years after the success of Twilight and we are still getting new take ons of Vampire every single year. Whether it be sparkly vampires or super powered vampires or vampires who get sick of being vampires and turn human, every author has a new take on the definition of a vampire.

So when Morganville re-visits the classic take, the Dracula take. It was more than refreshing to read! As crazy as it sounds, it's actually a nice change to read about vampires who aren't all good-looking and who aren't all about falling in love with Humans!

The concludes my first pointer about how awesome Glass House. It's not original but it's refreshing because it's how vampires are supposed to be opposed on the new take ones where vampires are harmless and sparkly ( I love Twilight). Another reason why it's so awesome? The characters.

The relationship between Claire, Eve, Shane and Michael is really touching. I have never had room mates before but the relationship between the four is what I would imagine it to be. The friendship and more-than friends ship between them four is amazing. Each character has a different personality, they might hate each other at times but they still friends and care about each other.

Then, there is the plot. So at the start Claire was pretty pathetic, she was bullied and cried alot. Then she meets her three new roomies who introduce her to Morganvilles not-so-secret secret, the vampires. From there it gets really interesting whether it be fighting the vamps or fighting the undeniable attraction.Fats-paced and filled with quirky and comfortable writing.

Overall, I loved it. it was addictive and refreshing. I couldn't stop turning the pages one after another. Whether it just me or not, I find it hard to find a book that I can turn the page one after another without losing interest, I found it in Glass House. This one goes on your TBR pile, lovelies!

Badass Bookie xx

6 comments:

  1. I got the first book for review too! It seems fantastic from your review - I'm super excited to read it! I love books that are addictive. Just a question for you - how many books do you read per week, what with schoolwork and all?

    Hope you have a lovely week,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your review, it was so true! I mean, I found it hard to get into it at first, but towards the end it really built up to somethin'!
    Spoken like a true reader, Lisa. :)

    P.S. I totally want room mates like them too!

    P.P.S. It's always better when the vamps. are a little evil. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm such a Morganville junkie. I love that the vampires here are still badass and I love Clare. the supporting cast is great too and the books just get better. It's just such a fun series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's in my pile and I really want to read it NOW !! Thanks for your review, this series seems great !! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so in love with this series, I've just finished reading the third one, and I'll put my reviews up soon. I reckon each one I've read is better than the one preceding it, so I'm keen to read the rest of the books in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought a used copy of this ages ago and still haven't gotten around to reading it. Now I know to get the rest of the series in order (at least from my library) before digging in ;D

    ReplyDelete