Friday, February 25, 2011

Forsaken ( or The Demon Trapper's Daughter)

Review Time! I thought I would post a review of this book while it's still fresh in my mind, I finished it two hours ago so my thoughts are still reasonably clear ;) Forsaken or for those who live in the US of the A, it's dubbed The Demon's Trappers Daughter is a 2011 YA Debut. I'm little behind on the challenge this year but I'm catching up! Thanks to Pan for the copy ;)



UK vs. US? Pick your poison, difficult but I think I like the UK cover!

(Goodreads) Riley has always wanted to be a Demon Trapper like her father, and she's already following in his footsteps as one of the best. But it's tough being the only girl in an all-guy world, especially when three of those guys start making her life more complicated: Simon, the angelic apprentice who has heaven on his side; Beck, the tough trapper who thinks he's God's gift, and Ori, the strikingly sexy stranger who keeps turning up to save her ass. One thing's for sure - if she doesn't keep her wits about her there'll be hell to pay...

The Short Story ? - It's too early to say this is one of the best debuts I have read but it was fantastic! Original plot and storyline, great characters and fantastic writing! Great heroine who's a total badass and lets not forget all her boyfriends who are totally HAWT!

The Long Story ? - Let's talk about the totally awesome originality of this novel first. In my opinion to write an original book you need to a) chose a genre that's rarely used or b) use an aspect of a genre that is rarely used. I can name on one hand how many paranormals I have read that are based on demon storyline. The best part is that the protagonist doesn't even hook up with a demon! So no cliched human and supernatural creature romance! It's also set in the near future, 2018, and it's a very interesting perspective of what the world would be like. What if we ran out of metal and gas? What if demons populated among us? What is we raised the dead and manufactured Holy Water? The idea's far-fetched yet it's (sorta) realistic don't you think?

The characters in this debut was great! Strong heroine, I like the idea of a girl who can stand her ground in an all man world! Not to mention Riley is totally badass, she's lost both of her parents and yet she can still move on with her life and dream, it's tough but she did it. Another character I adore is Beck! I love everything about him from his southern boy drawl to his 'I'm too cool' attitude! Best of all, he cares about Riley and has her best interests at heart even if it means (maybe) not admitting his real feelings. Riley and Beck would make a totally awesome couple! Which leads me to Riley's boyfriend, Simon. He's hot and a total sweetie but I can't really see him with Riley, he's too much of a 'good boy'. The third guy, Ori, is still a complete mystery, I really hope we see more of him in the next book because I have a feeling I will like this guy...

The romance in this novel is little dry. Whether it's because I'm totally biast about Riley's boyfriend choice  or Simon and Riley really do lack chemistry is for you guys to decide. The writing is great, Jana's writing style is very comfortable and easy to slip into. Strong character voices and fantastic idea to switch perspectives between Beck and Riley.

In all, it's a great book! I have little pet peeves ( like boyfriend preferences) but they are only small compared to the FANTABULOUS of the book! Seriously, read this book! Bookie Approves ;) Rating 4.5/5 ( took 0.5 away for bad taste in boys)

Badass Bookie xx

5 comments:

  1. Need to read this!!



    www.samajama27.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this one, it sounds so good and I keep hearing wonderful things about it! Thanks for the review! I'm torn on the covers I really like them both, but in the end I think the UK cover wins out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you reviewed this! It's on my amazon wishlist, but I was a bit unsure about ordering it, now I think I will!

    -Cait
    http://thecaitfiles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the US version.

    I've awarded you with the "From Me To You Award".
    http://the-bookaholics.blogspot.com/2011/02/from-me-to-you-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the UK version, which is the cover we got here in Australia.

    I agree with everything you wrote! It is my fave read of the year so far, I was pleasently surprised. I hadn't heard too much about the book before I read it (it came out in the UK & Australia before the US) & now I'm counting down the days til the next book!

    xox Nat
    bookbabblings.com

    ReplyDelete