Author - Julie Murphy
Genre - Contemporary YA
Release Date - March 18th 2014
What if you’d been living your life as if you were dying—only to find out that you had your whole future ahead of you?
When sixteen-year-old Alice is diagnosed with leukemia, her prognosis is grim. To maximize the time she does have, she vows to spend her final months righting wrongs—however she sees fit. She convinces her friend Harvey, whom she knows has always had feelings for her, to help her with a crazy bucket list that’s as much about revenge (humiliating her ex-boyfriend and getting back at her arch nemesis) as it is about hope (doing something unexpectedly kind for a stranger and reliving some childhood memories). But just when Alice’s scores are settled, she goes into remission.
Now Alice is forced to face the consequences of all that she’s said and done, as well as her true feelings for Harvey. But has she done irreparable damage to the people around her, and to the one person who matters most?
The Insider's Scoop
1. Side Effects May Vary was inspired by a conversation about the zombie apocalypse and what people would do if their lives were about to end.
2. We did so much in revisions, but the most insane revision I like to tell people about is that what is now the ending was once the climax.
3. I obviously love Alice & Harvey, but my favorite characters to write were actually their parents. Especially Harvey’s mother, Natalie. I have whole backstories that I’ve written on all of them.
4. Some people write to music, but I usually write to films. I find one or two for every book and have them playing on repeat almost all the time. The movie I wrote Side Effects May Vary to was Blue Valentine.
5. When I wrote Side Effects May Vary, I was working at a library where I spent the bulk of my time at the reference desk. While waiting for patrons to approach me with their questions, I wrote entire scenes on post-it notes.
Julie is giving away a SIGNED ARC of SIDE EFFECTS MAY VARY!
Rule of Entry -
- Ends 21st of January
- Must be 13 or older
- Optional Entries :
* Leaving comment on either of Julie's posts +2 each
* Follow Me on Twitter +1
* Tweeting Giveaway +1