Friday, July 15, 2011

Illusions ( Spoiler-Free)

Review Time! School started this week and my review pile’s getting bigger! I’m getting the reading down but the reviews simply don’t want to be written! Anyway, I’m making myself write this review today as it’s been bothering not writing ;P Thanks so Harpercollins for the review copy!


(Goodreads) Laurel hasn't seen Tamani since she begged him to let her go last year. Though her heart still aches, Laurel is confident that David was the right choice.

 But just as life is returning to normal, Laurel discovers that a hidden enemy lies in wait. Once again, Laurel must turn to Tamani to protect and guide her, for the danger that now threatens Avalon is one that no faerie thought would ever be possible. And for the first time, Laurel cannot be sure that her side will prevail



The Short Story - The third installment in international bestselling series Wings, Illusions is definitely my favourite book of the series yet! Cliff hanger endings, romantic tension and characters that demand to be loved, Illusions is captivating, beautiful and exciting! Illusion is the definition for amazing.

The Long Story - Harper actually sent this one almost a month ago and I didn’t pick it up til last week. Wings is one of my favourite series in the world. The characterization is fantastic and the books are always breathtakingly beautiful. It’s a ten month wait til the next installment so I was trying to save it for a later date but I read it anyway ;P

Illusions did not fail to deliver a wonderfully exciting story. After reading Spells I was craving to read Illusions and even a week or so after finishing the novel I still can’t get over how brilliant it was. Exciting and engrossing, Illusions exceeded my expectations. There wasn’t a lot of action in this installment, it wasn’t very fast-paced but it flowed nicely and the plot of this novel was more based around introducing new characters, solving mysteries and revealing secrets. Lots of drama and tension, even without the troll fighting part, Illusions was fantastic, not a boring moment. Pike has left a lot of loose threads hanging in this novel, I can’t wait to read where things go from here. Original and beautiful, Illusions is definitely my favourite book of the series so far :)

The characterization never fails to leave my speechless, I can’t even describe how beautifully developed Pike’s characters are. Utterly, breathtakingly real characters. To be able to write a cast of characters that brings so much emotion out of a reader is quite a talent. Laurel has definitely matured since the last book, I don’t agree with all her choices, I do think she’s sometimes selfish and I hate that she rejects Tamani so much but she really redeemed herself in this novel. Her choices were wiser, more considerate and she’s become more likeable. I still don’t like David, he’s human and totally mucks up my version of a happy ending. I hope he gets eaten by trolls and leave Laurel and Tamani alone but without David the story probably won’t be as dramatic so I guess we’ll keep him alive :P Leaving my favorite character to last, Tamani is nothing if not amazing, sexy and the perfect boyfriend material. If I had to pick just one book boyfriend it would be Tamani, yes he’s a plant but he’s a sexy plant ;)

Lastly, Pike is an extremely talented writer. Her novels are always comfortable to read, captivating and beautiful, her writing technique is unique and her narrative voice is one of a kind. I can’t really describe it but her narrative voice is strong and powerful yet it rather gentle and quiet. Her books are all very easy to read and before you know it, it’s the last page. Pike also writes excellent romance, lot’s of tension and drama and my heart breaks every time she doesn’t put Tamani and Laurel together but she has my hanging of each word so I can’t help but purposely break my heart just to keep reading :P

Illusions is a novel not to be missed! Exciting, beautiful and original Illusions is definitely one of my favorite novels of the year :) If you haven’t read Wings, go to your nearest bookstore and pick up a copy, it’s a series worth every minute of your time. Captivating and amazing, I can’t wait to read more of Pike’s wonderful writing! This one’s not to be missed!

Rating - 5/5

Badass Bookie xx

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful review! I LOVE this series! I'm madly in love with Tamani. The wait for #4 will definitely be painful:(

    ReplyDelete