Monday, July 11, 2011

Flawless

Review Time! My hiatus is over today! I’m back for another week of reviews and discussion posts and Debut of the Month which starts this Friday! Flawless by Lara Chapman is a 2011 YA Debut and a big thank-you goes to Bloomsbury for the review copy!

(Goodreads) Sarah Burke is just about perfect. She's got killer blue eyes, gorgeous blond hair, and impeccable grades. There's just one tiny-all right, enormous-flaw: her nose. But even that's not so bad. Sarah's got the best best friend and big goals for print journalism fame.



On the first day of senior year, Rock Conway walks into her journalism class and, well, rocks her world. Problem is, her best friend, Kristen, falls for him too. And when Rock and Kristen stand together, it's like Barbie and Ken come to life. So when Kristen begs Sarah to help her nab Rock, Sarah does the only thing a best friend can do-she agrees. For someone so smart, what was she thinking?

This hip retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac is filled with hilariously misguided matchmaking, sweet romance, and a gentle reminder that we should all embrace our flaws.


The Short Story? – A cute, funny, quirky read! Brilliant plot, great characters and the perfect read for a night in or a day at the beach! Fantastic re-telling of Cyrano de Bergera. Beautifully written and highly addictive, Flawless is a debut for all to enjoy!

The Long Story? – Besides paranormal romance, my favourite thing to read is cute, funny contemporary love stories with a guaranteed happy ending and they’re actually pretty hard books to find. We have plenty of contemporary love stories out there but are they all well-written? No, most of them are silly and embarrassing and you spend almost as much time putting it down as you do reading it. Luckily Flawless wasn’t one of those.

The plot was cute and funny and right down my alley. I’ve read a few reviews saying they didn’t like the plot, mentioning that it was too predictable. Flawless was predictable and the ending was pretty easy to guess but I really think the author wanted to include the clichés in plot, I do think it was all planned. I personally thought the plot was brilliant, for me it wasn’t about how predictable the ending was but more about how the author tends to write the rest of the book leading up to the ending and Chapman did it brilliantly. It was funny, it was cute and it was a “light” read, full of romance and girl drama. It’s a novel that every girl would love to read. Hot guys, friendship dramas and full of romance, Flawless is the ultimate read for girls!

The characterization was fantastic! Our protagonist Sarah was one of my favourite characters to meet this year. She was fun, smart, loyal and hard-working. She wants people to accept her for who she is and even when she knows life would be easier if she got a nose job (yes, her nose really sounds pretty big). She was easy to love and I would definitely want a friend like her. Rock, our love interest was absolutely amazing, it was love at first sight for me too! Smart, sexy and the biggest cutie ever, I can totally see why Sarah’s head over heels in love with him. I had some trouble with Kirsten, we didn’t really manage to bond til the very end. I found her selfish, inconsiderate and annoying most of the time, I kind of thought of her as the villain, even though she was the best friend but in the end it became obvious that she really was a good friend. Friendship is a really big factor in the novel and it’s something we all can relate to!

Another one of my favourite things about the novel was the writing. Chapman is a fantastic author, her narrative voice was funny and comfortable and it’s so “teen”. She has a great way of words and it’s so easy to read Flawless because the words just flow. I was hanging onto every word and craving for more even after the very last page. Brilliant new talent and I look forward to reading what she has install for us next!

Flawless is definitely a novel I would recommend everyone to check out sometime soon, it’s a really quick read and it’s so comfortable that it becomes highly addictive. Cute, funny and awfully romantic, it’s a novel everyone would love! Lovers of Anna and the French Kiss and The Lonely Hearts Club would love this! Brilliant, Flawless is a truly fantastic debut!

Rating – 5/5

Badass Bookie xx

3 comments:

  1. This one is sitting on my shelf waiting for me to read it, and now I'm looking forward to it even more :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh glad to hear you enjoyed this one! I've been thinking about reading it, it sounds like my kind of book; I love funny and cute stories! Thanks for the review :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the cover of Flawless - I think it is simply gorgeous. Flawless is a book to make sure to check out. It would be a perfect summer read, on the beach, outside, or in the comfort of your air conditioned house. The characters are fun, and while the plot is quite predictable, it's just quite the charm.

    ReplyDelete