Friday, July 15, 2011

Debut of the Month - All About Michelle Ray

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Debutante Profile

Name - Michelle Ray
Debut - Falling for Hamlet
Genre - Contemporary/ Retelling?
Website - HERE
Facebook - HERE

Michelle Ray is a graduate of Tufts University where she majored in drama, and got her master’s in education at UCLA. She is now a sixth grade English teacher in Silver Spring, Maryland, where she lives with her family. Falling for Hamlet is her first novel. She spends a great deal of time trying to convince people that Shakespeare is not scary, both in her professional and personal life.


Dream Debutante Dress -



Notes from a YA Debutante

I went with the superhero outfit because I’m always trying to defend and protect people. My husband laughs when I freeze in a public place at the sound of a kid crying and check to make sure the child is okay. At school, I want to lift everyone to a higher understanding. And while I don’t leap over buildings, I’ve been known to run toward trouble. Though I’m short, I will try to stop teenagers from fighting at school (though I’ve been advised that this isn’t the safest thing to do). Finally, I chose a superhero outfit because many people can’t believe I can teach full time, be a mom, a wife, and a writer. I get it all done somehow. Maybe it’s my superhero ability to freeze time . . .

I try to defend my characters, too. Whenever people say something like, “Oh, Hamlet is such a jerk,” or “Ophelia made a dumb choice,” I stand up for them like friends. “You have to understand,” I begin. I’ve always been like this. I draw a lot from life, and while I’ve always been a rule follower, I’ve made some dumb choices. It’s part of being young. Life is so confusing and it’s impossible to be perfect all the time. Anyone who seems perfect is either really dull or hiding something.

I’m inspired by goodness. I’m inspired by dreams. I’m inspired by great art. I’m inspired by creative people. I’m inspired by theater. I’m inspired by my family. I’m inspired by my students. I’m inspired by Shakespeare. I’m inspired by bravery. I’m inspired by real life heroes who put their safety after others’.

If I could slap on a cape (and, according to the photo, startlingly high heels) and save world, I totally would. For now, I’ll teach and write . . . while wearing flip-flops and flats.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks so much for the great post! I'm learning to love Shakespeare, yes, he gives me headaches three out of every five days but he's wonderful :) Sadly, I haven't made my way to Hamlet yet, Romeo and Juliet is currently taking up all my time but I have to say I'm keen to check it out along with Falling for Hamlet! That steamy cover was the cherry on top. Love the sound of Falling for Hamlet! Okay, so guys come back tomorrow for the second half of Michelle's feature and a giveaway!

Badass Bookie xx

6 comments:

  1. Lol, I love that she picked a Supergirl's outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's definitely the most creative debutante *dress* I've seen so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read R&J in high school, but could never get into reading any other Shakespeare. Hopefully, this book can ease me into them.

    Love the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO a Supergirl....really....hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a great dress choice. I don't think I could do anything in those heels though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super (hehe) dress choice and I loved the reasons backing it up.

    Finally, I chose a superhero outfit because many people can’t believe I can teach full time, be a mom, a wife, and a writer. I get it all done somehow.
    Oh, gosh. How DO you do it?! You really must be a superhero because that is an amazing accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete