Saturday, July 23, 2011

Enclave

Review Time! Enclave is a 2011 YA Debut written by Ann Aguirre. It's a post-apocalyptic/ dystopian novel and it was definitely one of my most anticipated reads of the year! Thanks to Ann Aguirre for sending me a signed copy!

(Goodreads) Welcome to the Apocalypse. In Deuce’s world, people earn the right to a name only if they survive their first fifteen years. By that point, each unnamed ‘brat’ has trained into one of three groups–Breeders, Builders, or Hunters, identifiable by the number of scars they bear on their arms. Deuce has wanted to be a Huntress for as long as she can remember.


As a Huntress, her purpose is clear—to brave the dangerous tunnels outside the enclave and bring back meat to feed the group while evading ferocious monsters known as Freaks. She’s worked toward this goal her whole life, and nothing’s going to stop her, not even a beautiful, brooding Hunter named Fade. When the mysterious boy becomes her partner, Deuce’s troubles are just beginning.

The Short Story? - For fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent, here comes the next big thing! Exciting, edgy and addictive, Enclave is your Friday Night Entertainment packed into a neat 260 pages novel! Fast-paced and original. Enclave is a remarkable debut that should be read by all!

The Long Story? - Enclave had me from the start. I like dystopian novels but it's the post-apocalyptic/ survival-based that's the cherry on top. From the moment I read the blurb, I just knew I had to read Enclave! It was everything I thought it would be and more! Fantastic, one of my favourite dystopian novels of the year!

With dystopian, every setting is different but when it comes to originality, I usually find it very lacking. They all pretty much sum up to the same thing, freedom to love, to think, to be who they are. In turn this air of depression falls over the whole novel. Enclave was different. Yes, there was the key element of longing for freedom and the unknown but there was more to the plot then that. There was a beginning, a crisis and then there was ending. It was a layered plot that was more than just ' I want freedom, oh hot boy, help me fight for freedom'. Exciting. edgy and a fantastic page-turner, I was hanging onto every word!

The characters were great! Deuce ( who's name is great) is one of the best characters I have encountered. Following in the footsteps of Katniss Everdeen, Deuce is a strong heroine who refuses to let gender get in her way of doing great things! She's someone I've grown to admire, her choices reflect on her kind nature and she's fearless. Fade is a great love interest, he's got the whole 'air of mystery' surrounding him and he's smexy ;P Plus the love romantic development only draws the reader further and further into the story! Stalker was the third part of a cleverly crafted love triangle. I can't wait to see where the romance leads the three of them in the next book!

Overall, Enclave was the perfect read for a night in! Quick, exciting and lots of sizzling romantic tension, what more can a girl ask for? A beautifully crafted post-apocalyptic world, a life or death situation and a novel about hardship, survival, freedom and love. Fantastic plot, great characters and well-written, Enclave is one not to be missed, for lovers of all things Dystopian! The next big thing after The Hunger Games, here comes Enclave!

Rating - 5/5

Badass Bookie xx

5 comments:

  1. I love your review! Could not agree more, Enclave is awesome. Stalker kind of surprised me, I'd read there was a third potential love interest, but upon first meeting him... did NOT expect it to be him! But then you get to know him more (though I'm still Team Fade :P). All the characters are great. Can't wait to see what's going to happen in the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I will definitely put this on my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I loved Divergent and The Hunger Games so I think I'd enjoy Enclave too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I agree, Enclave was amazing--the only downside is that we have to wait until 2012 for Razorland #2!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Great review. Reading this right after Possession. Excited!

    ReplyDelete