Saturday, September 24, 2011

Spellbound

Review Time! Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz is a 2011 YA debut. Again, if you don't recognise the cover it's because it's the Australian edition. The US cover is good but not AS good :P This ones been on my radar and lot's of mixed reviews, hope my review sways your decision to read it! Thanks to Harlequin Teen for the review copy!

(Goodreads) Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Connor, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But her new posh Upper East Side prep school? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to — Brendan
Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks, who is also the richest kid in school.


Even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps shatter whenever she walks by, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams. Visions of herself in past lives — visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else...

The Short Story? - An impressive YA paranormal debut! Who doesn't love a story about rich kids in Manhattan with a paranormal twist? Spellbound is a novel that I can honestly say was a fantastic love story. A spellbinding ( pun intended) romance, a curse that brings death and a plot filled with drama and tension. A captivating mix of danger and humour. A charming novel that will bring out raw emotions!

The Long Story? - I was sold by 'posh Upper East Side prep school'. Um, WHO DOESN'T LIKE BOOKS ABOUT RICH BITCH BENNIES? Although the kids were actually pretty nice with exceptions of course but no blood sacrifices or oaths in this novel. I don't know how you can give this novel something like a 1/5 or 2/5 or even a 3/5, I mean it's was so cute! It wasn't perfect but it was "this" close.

The plot was really good. It wasn't perfect, there was this "tiny" detail that really got on my nerves but overall I actually really, really enjoyed it! It was different because a) no vampires b) no werewolves and c) it's more about a curse that's a little supernatural rather than "things that go bump with the night". I can safely say that all the characters are human even if some are reincarnated souls. Well-written and a very organised and planned plot. Lot's of drama, tension and romance. There's even a heart-pounding chase! The thing that really did it for me was the romance though. A great love story, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! I love the idea of star-crossed lover who are reincarnated souls destined to be together in every lifetime only to be torn apart. It's really, really clever and as a romance junkie I loved every minute of it. Shultz is a great writer who infuses her writing with humour. Definitely one I would recommend you to check out!

Shultz has a very strong and comfortable YA voice which is carried out through our protagonist Emma. I like my protagonists to be a little flawed because it's so cliched to have the "perfect" main character and Emma wasn't perfect but she was extremely likable. Firstly, she had a great sense of humour, something that I always look for in my mains. Secondly, she has a backbone, you can't be a heroine if you're scared all the time - I don't like weak characters. Thirdly, she was nice and she had personality - it annoys me to no end when I read books where mains have boring personalities or worse - no personalities at all. Brendan, one of my favourite "guy" characters of the year. He was fun and nice and sweet and had a sense of humour and I just couldn't help but fall in love with him! A great cast and very well developed!

If you're sitting at home hesitating about this book, I hope you read it because I really enjoyed. A very charming debut, I'm sure that Shultz has more install for us but Spellbound was a great novel. Fantastic plot, beautifully written, a great love story and character you'll love. A paranormal debut that is both dark and dangerous yet funny and witty! Spellbound will captivate you, a definite crowd pleaser!

Rating - 4.5/5 ( it's "this" close to a 5/5)

Badass Bookie xx

4 comments:

  1. I like this cover more too!
    Hmm..I liked Brendan too!(esp. that time he grabbed that guy and told him Don't you ever....)

    I thought it was nice too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great review. I'm definitely thinking of reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one has a gorgeous cover!

    Haha, I totally get what you mean! I can't help rolling my eyes whenever I see something about werewolves or vampires. :) It's kind of getting past the point of overdone, y'know.

    And hey, now I'm really curious about the paranormal aspect. :P Good job on the review, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this book too. Cara said today that Spellcaster will be out in March. Can't wait.

    As for the fish on my blog.. click on the very top left corner, and it'll take you to the site for them. You can customize everything.. size, colors of each fish, color of background, etc. When you click anywhere around the fish, food falls and they 'eat' it. lol.

    ReplyDelete