Sunday, September 4, 2011

Lament

Review Time! I was planning to post a "just because review" today but when I looked at my "not just because review pile" I knew that unless I tackle one of these it's going to keep of growing and unlike my money tree, I don't want to this one to grow ;) Thanks to Scholastic for the review copy!

(Goodreads) Sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan is a painfully shy but prodigiously gifted musician. She's about to find out she's also a cloverhand—one who can see faeries. Deirdre finds herself infatuated with a mysterious boy who enters her ordinary suburban life, seemingly out of thin air. Trouble is, the enigmatic and gorgeous Luke turns out to be a gallowglass—a soulless faerie assassin. An equally hunky—and equally dangerous—dark faerie soldier named Aodhan is also stalking Deirdre. Sworn enemies, Luke and Aodhan each have a deadly assignment from the Faerie Queen. Namely, kill Deirdre before her music captures the attention of the Fae and threatens the Queen's sovereignty. Caught in the crossfire with Deirdre is James, her wisecracking but loyal best friend. Deirdre had been wishing her life weren't so dull, but getting trapped in the middle of a centuries-old faerie war isn't exactly what she had in mind . . .

The Short Story? -  A beautiful almost fairy-tale like novel! Maggie Stiefvatar does not disappoint with Lament! Soft and enticing narrative voice, a spell-bounding and touching romance and a plot that brings raw emotions out of readers. Lament is a beautifully written pararnormal that will leave you wanting more!

The Long Story? – We all know that Maggie Stiefvater writes fantastic books! Her Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy is an absolute publishing sensation. I’ll be honest and admit I’ve only read Shiver (which was brilliant) but I have Linger and Forever on my shelf so I’ll get around to them very soon ;) Lament is the first in her “Faerie” series (I have no idea what they’re actually called)!


The plot was my favourite part of the novel, I love all things paranormal and have read many novels about faeries but this would definitely be my favourite of the bunch. It’s got this almost fairytale feel to it, the whole book just flowed so easily. The story was easy to follow and it was pretty straightforward. The faeries want Deirdre dead, Luke is a faerie assassin but can’t bring himself to kill Deirdre because he’s in love with her. The novel is based around this Romeo and Juliet like romance, Luke and Deirdre love each other but life gets in the way…DUN DUN DUN what will they do? I guess what separates Lament from the rest is that it’s so well-written that it doesn’t feel that the whole novel is based around this forbidden romance, even if it is the heart of the novel. Stiefvater has written Lament in a way so that it feels that there is something bigger to the novel than what the readers are let in on (and there is). It’s definitely getting brownie points for originality and a fantastic romance, one for the romance junkies out there!

The characterization was beautiful. I absolutely loved Deirdre and it was so easy to connect to her. No, I don’t have a swoon-worthy guy declaring his love for me and I hope I’m not going to be assassinated but she has so many mundane human problems that every teen experiences. Controlling parents, no car and all the typical adolescent problems. Who hasn’t been there and done that? Not to mention, Deirdre was strong, brave, kind and compassionate, fantastic heroine! Luke was different – in a good way. Every other book I have read portrays faeries as these cold, evil, not capable of emotion beings but Luke wasn’t like that. He made jokes, jokes. I guess he isn’t really a faerie but…

Maggie Stiefvater if I ever become rich and famous, I’ll definitely pay you to write my biography. If anyone can make the most ordinary things sound interesting, it’s you. What a fantastic story teller! Stiefvater has a narrative voice like no other, soft, enticing, dangerous and yet very powerful. You can literally feel the power behind her words. I was staying way past my bed time trying to finish Lament and it was worth it. Comfortable and easy to get into, it’s one of those books that you can get stuck into right away!

Lament is a captivating tale about true love and hardships. Written by one of YA’s most recognized authors, Lament is not to disappoint. A fantastic story from start to finish, I loved every minute of it! Wonderful characterization and a highly original plot, Lament is one for all to enjoy! A paranormal phenomenon that will leave you craving for more!

Rating - 5/5

Badass Bookie xx

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your review. This was the first book I read of Maggie's and I became an instant fan of hers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Lament! I think I liked it even more than Shiver.. If not just because I loved the plot ;) I agree with everything you said! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodie--- I will look for this book. Sounds delightful.

    -Anne
    My Head is Full of Books

    ReplyDelete