Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Cold Fury

Review Time! Happy Book Birthday to Cold Fury by T.M. Goeglein and before you even read my review, you should all go get yourself a copy because this debut is EPIC! You can buy online from The Book Depository | Fishpond | Amazon. If you're looking for a 2012 YA Debut written by a male author through a females perspective - I would go with Cold Fury! Thanks to T.M. Goeglein for the review copy!

(Goodreads) Sara Jane Rispoli is a normal sixteen-year-old coping with school and a budding romance--until her parents and brother are kidnapped and she discovers her family is deeply embedded in the Chicago Outfit (aka the mob).

Now on the run from a masked assassin, rogue cops and her turncoat uncle, Sara Jane is chased and attacked at every turn, fighting back with cold fury as she searches for her family. It's a quest that takes her through concealed doors and forgotten speakeasies--a city hiding in plain sight. Though armed with a .45 and 96K in cash, an old tattered notebook might be her best defense--hidden in its pages the secret to "ultimate power." It's why she's being pursued, why her family was taken, and could be the key to saving all of their lives.
The Short Story? - This is probably one of my favourite debuts of the year... I don't know yet for sure since it's "only" July but OH MY GOODNESS, this book was EPIC. It was so good, I can't even find fault it in - IT WAS PERFECT. Fast-paced, action-packed, mystery, suspense, thriller, mobsters, boys, money, sidekicks, Chicago, those are just a few words about Cold Fury. If that hasn't perked your attention, how about we add a kick- ass protagonist to the list? And let's not forget a refreshingly unique narrative voice! This is an incredible debut, Cold Fury is a MUST-READ.

The Long Story? - Everyone is more then welcome to stop reading my review right now and go buy the book because I have nothing but good words for Cold Fury. Cold Fury was phenomenal. It's a very fast-paced book where everything happens over only a short period of time. It was almost like one thing happened and then you turn the page and OH NO something else has gone wrong! Unpredictable, Goeglein drops plenty of bombs throughout the novel that really surprised me (in a good way). I loved how the novel is about the Chicago Mobs, I don't know about anyone else but I LOVE books and movies about mafias etc etc. Cold Fury is definitely a book that will appeal to both girls and boys. If you're not a fan of romance, this would also appeal to you as romance really does take the backseat. Filled with car chases, bare knuckle fights and more villains than a comic book, Cold Fury is a remarkable debut that I recommend to everyone!

Feel free to stop reading now and buy the book because I'm now going to gush about how amazing the characterisation is. Sara Jane is probably one of my favourite protagonists ever in terms of badassness. This girl has clearly got her priorities straight because family always comes first and no boy will get in the way of that! She's also a old movie lover, boxer chick and italian  - if you're not in love with her already, read Cold Fury and you will be! There were lots of characters in the novel but there they were more of a come and go sort and there are too many of them for me to list but some of my favourites were - Willy who might have been old but could still kick ass, Tyler who had that bad boy quality that I  really liked, Max who was adorable boyfriend material, Doug who was an awesome sidekick and Lou because he was so so so strong and brave! Definitely great characterisation!

In a nutshell, Cold Fury was a roller-coaster ride of a debut! I can't recommend it to you enough, seriously this might be one of my favourite debts of the year! Goeglein's beautifully written debut is pure entertainment from cover to cover. A brilliant protagonist, an incredible plot and a unique take on the YA genre that will appeal to both male and female readers!

What's it Worth? - Break Out the Piggybank


Badass Bookie xx

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great! Kind of like an old fashioned pulp novel. Twists and turns aplenty. Looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds amazing!! The protagonist sounds like an awesome chick! Great review.... I'll be getting this book very soon! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was already looking forward to reading this but now I definitely am! It sounds SO badass, just like you and your swag ;) It sounds thrilling and action-packed and daring and addictive and I'm really hoping I get my hands on a copy soon. Fab review, darling!

    ReplyDelete