A DYING LAND
The Shima Imperium verges on the brink of environmental collapse; an island nation once rich in tradition and myth, now decimated by clockwork industrialization and the machine-worshipers of the Lotus Guild. The skies are red as blood, the land is choked with toxic pollution, and the great spirit animals that once roamed its wilds have departed forever.
AN IMPOSSIBLE QUEST
The hunters of Shima’s imperial court are charged by their Shōgun to capture a thunder tiger—a legendary creature, half-eagle, half-tiger. But any fool knows the beasts have been extinct for more than a century, and the price of failing the Shōgun is death.
A SIXTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL
Yukiko is a child of the Fox clan, possessed of a talent that if discovered, would see her executed by the Lotus Guild. Accompanying her father on the Shōgun’s hunt, she finds herself stranded: a young woman alone in Shima’s last wilderness, with only a furious, crippled thunder tiger for company. Even though she can hear his thoughts, even though she saved his life, all she knows for certain is he’d rather see her dead than help her.
But together, the pair will form an indomitable friendship, and rise to challenge the might of an empire.
The Insider's Scoop
1. Stormdancer was originally called The Last Stormdancer when I sold it to my agent. I later decided it was too close toThe Last Airbender, which is probably the film that ended M. Knight Shyamalan’s career. So I changed it.
2. The character of Hiro was originally called Ryuu, but I decided that would cause too much confusion with the Ryu clan. After I changed his name to Hiro, I also had to change Akihito’s name (he was originally called Akihiro). It’s verystrange to change the names of characters you’ve lived with for years.
3. Kin was going to be a female character, right up to the point when I started writing him in the scene on the Thunder Child.
4. A lot of Buruu’s more adorkable behaviour is based on observing my dog. He gets very jealous when my wife is paying attention to me instead of him. :)
5. Yukiko died in the original draft of Stormdancer.
In collaboration with Pan Macmillan Australia and THE MAN OF THE HOUR himself, we're giving away (2) Copies of Stormdancer + Bookmarks. One will go AUS only and the other one open Internationally.
Rule of Entry -
- Open to Internationally
- Ends 18th of October
- Must be 13 or older
- Optional Entries :
* Leaving comment on either of Jay's posts +1 each
* Follow Me on Twitter +1
* Follow Jay on Twitter +1
* Tweeting Giveaway +1