Monday, September 10, 2012

Unravelling

Review Time! Starting the week with a review of Unravelling by Elizabeth Norris which is a 2012 YA Debut published by HarperCollins Australia back in June. I was so excited for this book and I was planning to read it sooner but it just kept getting pushed back and finally I found the time to read the book in August! You can purchase a copy of the book from Fishpond | The Nile | Booktopia | Dymocks. Thanks to HarperCollins for the review copy!


(Goodreads) STOP THE COUNTDOWN. SAVE THE WORLD…

Leaving the beach, seventeen-year-old Janelle Tenner is hit head on by a pickup truck.And killed.

Then Ben Michaels, resident stoner, is leaning over her. And even though it isn’t possible, she knows Ben somehow brought her back to life…

Meanwhile, Janelle’s father, a special agent for the FBI, starts working on a case that seems strangely connected to Ben. Digging in his files, Janelle finds a mysterious device – one that seems to be counting down to something that will happen in 23 days and 10 hours time.

That something? It might just be the end of the world. And if Janelle wants to stop it, she’s going to need to uncover Ben’s secrets – and keep from falling in love with him in the process…

The Short Story? - Elizabeth Norris's YA debut is a phenomenal science fiction that will appeal to lovers of I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore and Struck by Jennifer Bosworth. Beautifully written with rich and descriptive prose. The plot was filled with mystery, action, romance and excitement. Very edgy and different, Unravelling is definitely unlike any other book I've read. A good characterisation and a solid ending, Unravelling will appeal to readers of all ages and gender!

The Long Story? - Unravelling is quite a fast-paced novel, if you like books that dives right into the exciting stuff, you would enjoy this one. It's more of a science fiction mystery rather than a science fiction adventure. Think crime fiction with aliens. The plot was definitely the main aspect of the novel that appealed to me because there was an emphasis on the mystery aspect and a small focus on the romance which is different since romance seems to be focus in YA fiction more often than not these days. Another aspect I really liked was the ending which was really solid, in terms that it wasn't a cliff hanger - it was a small climax and honestly, I think you could read Unravelling as a standalone if you really wanted too however the ending was so bittersweet I would definitely recommend continuing on with the series. Absolutely spectacular debut!

The characterisation was good but it turned out to be the aspect of the novel that was overshadowed because it wasn't anything special. In fact there were parts of the characterisation that I found quite lacking, namely Ben. I adored Ben but I felt like I didn't know anything about him. I would have liked a  little more of a personality build up and even physical appearances are quite a blur, I can't even formulate what Ben looks like which is strange because the plot was so descriptive! However Janelle was very well developed. Her personality really shone through, I gathered that she was stubborn, protective and very strong. She's level-headed and she doesn't give up easily and more importantly, she is willing to see the good in people. Janelle goes through so much throughout the novel and for her to stay so strong really touched me. Good characterisation, I look forward to further development in the sequel!

All in all, Unravelling was quite an extraordinary debut! Phenomenal plot that really gives YA sci-fi a new meaning. In a market very much dominated by dystopia and paranormal romance, it's great to see a fresh voice tackle a different aspect of the YA genre. Dubbed as 24 meets X Files, Unravelling was very enjoyable. Hooked from the first page, this fast-paced sci-fi thriller was absolutely brilliant! Norris is definitely one to look out for!

What's it Worth? - Hand Over the Paycheck

Badass Bookie xx

6 comments:

  1. I loved this. I started out thinking it was just a mystery and then the sci-fi aspects were revealed and I thought Wow! Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LISA. HOW THE HELL DID I MISS YOUR REVIEW? WTF? BUT YES YES YES. YOUR REVIEW IS WIN. I REALLY loved that this was a plot driven story, but the romance was HOT. I LOVED Jenelle and Ben's chemistry. VERY interesting point about Ben because, yes, it feels like I don't know THAT much about him. I had a really good idea of Janelle, but Ben... mmm...

    ANYWAY. I'm glad you loved! AMAZING review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your article had provided me with another point of view on this topic. I had absolutely no concept that things can possibly work on this manner as well. Thank you for sharing your opinion

    cara menghilangkan benjolan di paha kanan bagian atas
    cara mengobati kelenjar tiroid tanpa operasi
    pengobatan demam tifoid pada anak dan dewasa
    cara mengobati sekelan secara alami

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your article had provided me with another point of view on this topic. I had absolutely no concept that things can possibly work on this manner as well. Thank you for sharing your opinion

    pengobatan tradisional penyakit kanker darah

    ReplyDelete