Friday, November 4, 2011

Tempest Rising

Review time! Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs is a 2011 YA Debut. The US edition has a different cover which might be why you don’t recognize the cover but the content is the same. It seems like mermaids are trending in YA, could they be the next vampire o_O? Thanks go to Bloomsbury Australia for the review copy!


(Goodreads) Tempest Maguire wants nothing more than to surf the killer waves near her California home; continue her steady relationship with her boyfriend, Mark; and take care of her brothers and surfer dad. But Tempest is half mermaid, and as her seventeenth birthday approaches, she will have to decide whether to remain on land or give herself to the ocean like her mother. The pull of the water becomes as insistent as her attraction to Kai, a gorgeous surfer whose uncanny abilities hint at an otherworldly identity as well. And when Tempest does finally give in to the water's temptation and enters a fantastical underwater world, she finds that a larger destiny awaits her—and that the entire ocean's future hangs in the balance.

The Short Story? - A refreshing debut about the struggle between love, duty and family. Tracy Deebs has written an enjoyable YA that can be enjoyed by readers of all ages! A captivating plot, a complicated romance and a heroine that’s going to save the world (long live the fishies!). Loyalty, love, family, duty, loss and pain, Tempest Rising is a remarkable debut that is both original and beautiful.

The Long Story? – Tempest Rising had this light quality about it – which I like. The atmosphere created even when filled with drama and tension was light which made it easier to read. Maybe it’s just me but I can’t stand depressing books, I can only read them in small doses and while I love paranormal and fantasy I usually find it is quite melodramatic and DUN DUN DUN depressing. Deebs has come up with a clever plot, a mix of saving the world and fighting an internal battle to choose between family and love. A fantastic flow, a complex background and an addicting love story. It has the element of originality, I’m not really following the mermaid trend but it’s like nothing I’ve ever read before. Keen to see where Tempest and Kona’s romance takes them. Romance Junkie = Me.

I don’t always emphasize the importance of characterization but for me likeable characters are a must. Tempest is one of those characters that you just can’t help but love. From the first page I was hooked, she’s a well developed character, very complex and full of passion and personality for what she believes in and what she loves. Her background is quite interesting too, I don’t surf but living in surf central, it really grows on me and Tempest’s love for the ocean and surfing really made me like her more. However it was Kona who stole my heart (I pronounce it KO-NA but I think it’s meant to be pronounced like Connor). What a sexy beast! He’s funny, sweet and a total stud. Complete with the good looks only blessed to YA fictional boys, I’m crazy about this guy! A romance not to be missed and a cast that will grow on you!

Tempest Rising is a fantastic debut that’s both interesting and enjoyable. Suitable for readers of all ages, it’s comfortable and easy to read. A strong heroine, a passionate romance and a plot filled with drama and tension. A beautifully written novel, Deebs has made an excellent debut, I can’t wait to see what she has install for us next! Dive into this novel! (Pun intended) :)

Rating – 5/5

Badass Bookie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment