Thursday, November 10, 2011

Genesis

Review Time! I just finished my last exam two hours ago, nine exams in a week - my brain is fried. Worst of all - I haven't read since Sunday! Anyway, to celebrate finishing my exams I'm going to post a review for Genesis by Lara Morgan. It's an Aussie Dystopian/Sci-Fi and read on for my thoughts....

(Goodreads) Five hundred years into the future, the world is a different place. The Melt has sunk most of the coastal cities and Newperth is divided into the haves, the “Centrals”; the have-nots, the “Bankers”; and the fringe dwellers, the “Ferals”.



Rosie Black is a Banker. When Rosie finds an unusual box, she has no idea of the grave consequences of her discovery. A mysterious organisation wants it – and will kill to get it.


Forced to rely on two strangers, Rosie is on the run. But who can she trust? Pip, the too attractive Feral, or the secretive man he calls boss?


From Earth to Mars, Rosie must learn the secrets of the box – before it’s too late.

The Short Story? - If Across the Universe and All These Things I've Done had an offspring this would be it! It's the best of both worlds ( quite literally), set on Earth and in Mars, Genesis is thrilling YA Dystopian that's will leaving wondering what's next! Packed to the brim with action, Morgan has written a Dystopian that will keep you on the edge of your seat!

The Long Story? - I admit Genesis was a little hard to get into and I think partly it was because I was a little stressed about exams but also the length of the novel is a little discouraging. It's a pretty solid read ( 450 pages) and I like to stick to the 300s but once you do get the grasp of everything, it's quite a fantastic dystopian! It's pretty full-on, a very action-packed plot. There are a few life and death moments, a trip to mars, a little bit of saving the world, a little evil mastermind and a little bit of cat and mouse! It's definitely one that both boys and girls would find enjoyable. I'm little disappointed that romance was such a minor aspect of the novel because romance is so important to me and Genesis had so much potential for a great romance line. It just kept building up and yet not much happened! Keen to see where everything leads in the sequel!

Again with the characterisation, I found that it was one of those books that take time to grow on you. I wasn't really sure about Rosie for the first couple of chapters. It was really slow character development and I couldn't really connect with her! However when the cat and mouse chase starts, Rosie's inner heroine makes a show and that's when I took an instant liking of her! Pip was probably my favourite characters of the book, he wasn't a main but I felt he was the most developed. He had a unique personality, he had character and he had depth. He also had a sense of humour and I love that in a characters! Overall, a nice cast!

Although the book starts a little slowly, it's definitely one that I would recommend everyone to read! For lovers of dystopian, this is like nothing you have read before! A fantastic, action-packed YA. Morgan has written a spectacular novel that's both beautifully written and wonderfully organised. A clever plot, a nice cast of characters and a heroine that's saving the world, this is an Aussie must-read!

Rating - 4/5

Badass Bookie xx

2 comments:

  1. Oh, no romance? Too bad. :/ It's important to me too. But it sounds like a book I'll enjoy even without big romance moments. :)

    Must find time to read it soon!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though there isn't romance, I'd still enjoy this book. I can handle all action. Sounds like a fantastic read!

    ReplyDelete