Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Storm

Review Time! Storm by Brigid Kemmerer is a 2012 YA Debut,  it's releasing later this month both in Australia and the US. Before you even read my review, PRE ORDER YOUR COPY because it's beyond awesome! I've even linked you to The Book Depository or if you would like to purchase an Australian Copy ( with the pretty cover featured!) you can purchase from Booktopia. Thanks to Allen and Unwin for the ARC for review!

(Goodreads) Earth, Fire, Air, Water – they have more power than you dream. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her, Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys—all the ones she doesn't want. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water—just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They’re powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death. And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca. Secrets are hard to keep when your life’s at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who’s hiding the most dangerous truth of all. 
The storm is coming . . .

The Short Story? - Kemmerer's debut brings all the girls to the yard with the HOTTEST brotherhood in the history of HOTNESS! A truly unputdownable debut with the right combination of magic, romance and danger! A wonderfully developed plot filled with a badass heroine, a brotherhood of HOT HOT boys and enough action,  humour  and danger to rival even the best paranormal YA novels! A memorable debut that's not to be missed - this book is one heck of a roller coaster ride!

The Long Story? - Firstly, for a debut author this A-class writing! Either Kemmerer is secretly 16 or she's nailed the YA narrative voice FIRST TIME ROUND. Very authentic prose, comfortable to read, easy to get lost in. The plot was a lovely surprise, whatever expectation I had were definitely exceeded. Filled with danger, action and humour, Storm was a real treat to read! The book opened beautifully with a "girl saves boy" action scene followed by "meeting the family"( can I get a *swoon*) and then I was carried away by the storm of unexpected and unpredictable events ( pun intended). From the first page, Kemmerer had me hooked - definitely one of my favourite YA debuts of 2012 ( April? Psh, this is pure awesomeness). If you love hot boys, kickass heroines and magic - Storm might just be your next read!

I'm 100% happy with the characterisation. Okay, I admit I'm very much taken by the beauty of the Merrick brothers but that's not all! Becca is a very likeable protagonist. She's brave, she's funny and she's kickass - I think she's earned the title of a heroine. Her actions really reflect her personality and I think she see the good in people ( even if they act like big jerks). She's easy to connect with and she's had her fair share of high school drama. She's a tough girl! Chris, he's not my favourite Merrick brother but he's the one that Becca's taken a fancy of. He's definitely HOT and he's sweet in his own way. He's SUCH a guy, you know - unable to express his own feelings but feels incredibly jealous when THE GIRL talks to ANOTHER guy. There's also Hunter who I think is absolutely badass and hilarious. Fantastic characterisation.

In a nutshell, I think life must be very hard for Becca, she has to chose between Chris and Hunter, she gets to spend time with the Merrick boys and she's awesome? I'm insanely jealous of this girl! Storm is a spectacular debut that's A-class from cover to cover! An engrossing plot, an awesome heroine and the hottest YA boys to debut this year - if you're a girl ( or a guy!) and you love YA - I would click that Book Depository link up there ^ and preorder my copy today!

What's it's Worth - BREAK OUT YOUR PIGGYBANK


Badass Bookie xx

5 comments:

  1. It's always impressive when a debut novel is fantastic, I'll have to add this to my to-read list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ADGFAHGDSAKF! LIIIISSAAAAA! I was excited before, but now I'm kind of... exuberant? Jubilant? Ecstatic? JUMPING OUT OF MY SKIN? SOOOO can't wait for it to arrive. WANT TO READ NOW! FAB review, and I mean... it has everything. Great characters, hot boys, characterisation, action... uh... I was already sold. Now I'm doubly sold... I wonder if that breaches and contracts of sale... 'cos, you know... 'sold'... uh...

    *runs away*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how do i make my comments so fun to read as some ppl example given; saz101/ lol

      tnx 4 the review
      awesome u loved it

      Delete
  3. I AM DEFINITELY BREAKING OUT MY PIGGYBANK FOR THIS BOOK! I want to buy the book with the US cover, lol. I mean I LOVE THE AU cover but the US COVER has the Four Merrick Brothers on it! ME WANT IT. AWESOME review, Lisa! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I can't wait to get my hands on this!
    =D

    ReplyDelete