Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Breakfast with the Bookie - How to Deal with Blogger Drama


Breakfast with the Bookie is a semi-weekly feature here @ Badass Bookie which is making a reappearance in 2012. Every other Wednesday morning, let's all grab our teas and coffees to gather and discuss and share our opinions! Everyone is welcome to join and make sure you leave a comment to state your opinion. Don't be shy!

Today's Topic : How to Deal with Blogger Drama 


Recently a small (but made out to be big) "thing" hit the Book Blogging community. I only found out about it yesterday and I was shocked to say the least but I don't think the "thing" really deserves all the drama surrounding it. In case you don't know what it's about Sarah @ Smart Bitches, Trashy Books sums it up pretty well in this article - Plagiarism and The Story Siren. You can also read Kristi's apologies HERE and HERE.

I don't know about you but I like to avoid drama as much as possible. It's not nice to single out people and to make a huge deal out of a "small" issue. There are people out there who love drama and I'm not judging them but for me - I like to stay well away. Here a list on how, just in case you're with me on peace :)

How to Deal with Blogger Drama - 

1) Ignore It - I KNOW it's hard. You want to put your two cents in as well BUT - don't do it. Seriously don't get involved. The more people who get involved and bigger it gets. If no one talked about it or joined the "stoning" - the problem would die down in a day or two but if we all get involved, attack the blogger, gang up, tweet about it, send nasty insults their way or something - IT WILL NEVER DIE DOWN. Drama is so overrated and it just makes us all look like mindless b*tches. Publishers, authors and literacy professionals are going to start looking down on the whole community. Don't get involved for the rest of us.

2) Nothing Nice to Say? Don't Say It - Haters are always going to hate. There are those among us who just can't let something go. Those who like to egg people on and make a mountain out of a mole hole - I ask you not to join them. Insult them in your head but don't put it into words because it really, really hurts people. A common term for this is bullying. Treat people how you want to be treated. Besides dissing someone only reflects badly on yourself. Don't get caught in the whirlwind and say something that you will later regret!

3) Forgive and Forget - Word.

That's my top 3 - I can think of plenty more but I want to know how everyone else deals with blogger drama so let's discuss!

Badass Bookie xx

8 comments:

  1. Great advice! I'm trying to stay out of everything...but it looks like Kristi took her blog down! The only thing I want to know is what about everything she was hosting? Her debut author challenge and IMM meme....I'm not getting involved with anything about the whole situation, but how do we deal with the aftermath?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right -- and it's such a shame if she took her blog down. I'm sure the memes aren't going anywhere -- so many people do them that it would be silly to stop now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH. THIs just makes me sad... I mean, plagiarism, especially from a blogger who is so influential, and such a big deal is... well, a bigger deal than the blogger no-one's heard of, with 150 followers doing something, and then getting ignored... so, I mean, given the person's contacts, influence, and whatnot... I get the attention it's garnered... to an extent. But this SHOULD have remain private, and I'm just concerned about Kristi as a person, because she's being bullied, and the pressure being put on her, regardless of what she did is powerfully uncool.

    Yes. She did something wrong. COme on people, move on. She's human.

    Like you said: I like to avoid drama. It's ridiculous, unpleasant, and at times outright nasty. Why bother? Like you said, nothing nice to say? Don't say it.

    Forgive and forget? HELL YES.

    *BIG SIGH*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come to think of it - with plagiarism not really being a new thing in the Blogosphere, we obviously handle this matter very differently depending on whether it's a small blogger or a well known one. How often have I read about reviews being "stolen" and it all ends with the blogger who originally wrote the review being seriously miffed until the offending material is being taken down, end of story. Kristi being such a well established blogger on the other hand ... it's like a CSI crime scene. Same crime, different reaction. I guess it simply hurts us more on a personal basis, because we know her better and have already come to appreciate her so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree with your advice. I saw this yesterday and was disturbed by all the mean-spirited comments to her apology. I'm with you--forgive and forget. And let's move on to talking about books, which is why these blogs are here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly the post I would have written...if I was going to write one about the drama :) It's just not worth tainting the blog on things that aren't relevant to the blog, ya know? If your blog is about gossip and drama, then by all means, talk about it until your blue in the face. If your blog is book based...then do what you're good at...review books and leave the drama alone!! (That's what I would like to post on all the blogs that decided to make the issue into a bigger deal then it was!) Thanks again for this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I completely agree with everything you've said. Yes, what happened was wrong and shouldn't have happened but what is demonising someone going to do about it? I agree that it's an important issue that should be discussed but discussed sensibly and a lot of what I've seen going on is crazy. There's been such a mob mentality about this whole thing and that worries me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plagiarism more than a mistake, it's an offense. I also blog about books and to tell you the truth I don't care about publishers or arcs, I'm not that cheap. I blog for myself and of course, my readers.

    It's your readers that help you grow bigger. Not the publishers.

    A good blogger has an integrity, and he/she respect his/her self enough by not stealing somebody else's ideas.

    Just my two cents. I agree with you wholeheartedly though that there's no need to start more fight. Blogging is fun and it suppose to stay that way.

    ReplyDelete