Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Debut of the Month - All About J. Anderson Coats ( The Wicked and the Just)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Debutante Profile

Name - J. Anderson Coats
Debut - The Wicked and the Just
Genre - Historical
Website - HERE
Blog - HERE
Twitter - HERE

J. Anderson Coats has dug for crystals, held Lewis and Clark’s original hand-written journal and been a mile underground. She has a cool surgery scar unrelated to childbirth, she reads Latin, and she's been given the curse of Cromwell on a back-road in Connemara. On a clear day, she can see the Olympic mountains from her front window. On the foggy ones, she can smell the Puget Sound.


Dream Debutante Dress -  Since my book has a body count, it seemed appropriate!


Notes from a YA Debutante

 At first I was all, “Interesting facts about myself?  Next question.”  Then I realized that I might have a few.  Here goes:

As a very small child, I lived in Australia. My earliest memory is encountering a lizard with a blue tongue under a bush in my back yard.  I’m possibly one of a dozen or so American-born people who understands the rules of cricket.

When I was sixteen, I was a finalist in the now-defunct Sassy magazine’s Sassiest Girl in America contest.  I was flown to New York with five other girls from all corners of the country.  We were put up smack of the middle of midtown Manhattan in a $500-a-night hotel, ferried around to ritzy restaurants, taken shopping, made over and photographed for the magazine.  We stayed up late and skittered down hotel hallways in our pyjamas and flirted with the teenage bellhops and bonded like crazy.  Yes, this really happened.  I have pictures.

Three years later, I moved across the country.  I got on a plane with twenty dollars in my pocket, a baby on my hip, and most of my worldly possessions in a ratty army-surplus backpack thrown across one shoulder.  By age 22, I had a BA from a Seven Sisters college, a first master’s degree by 24, a second by 30, and a book contract by 32.  Sometimes I slept.

I once cut off the tip of my finger with a rotary quilting cutter.  Rather than go to the ER, I pressed the bit of finger back on, tied the whole thing up with a calico rag, applied pressure and elevation, and went about my day.  My husband was the one who made me go to the ER, mumbling about staph and disfigurement.  When I got there, the doctor asked what
happened.  I told him, “Freak quilting accident.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bookie's Note: This month we're having TWO debutantes ( you're lucky that we all spoil you rotten!) Everyone please make J feel welcome, debuting is scary but at least she has Marissa's hand to hold! J, I LIVE IN AUSTRALIA and unfortunately I do not understand the rules of cricket or AFL ( quite sad really). You must share those Sassy magazine photographs with us! Now, I'll wrap it up and I'll see you guys tomorrow! :)

Badass Bookie xx

6 comments:

  1. GAH!!! I really need to visit Australia....it sounds so bloody gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    "Freak quilting accident" . . . And that doctor must have thought he had heard it all! =P

    By the way, I love that you read Latin. It's my favourite language in the world, although I'm out of practice these days. (Sigh!) There's something about an author of Historicals who has spent so much time appreciating a dead language that fills me with confidence about her books. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lizard with blue tounge...!!! I have never seen anything like that is it really true... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha wow, you've lead an interesting life! See, the thing with the finger is the tough sort of thing I'd like to say I'd do, but really, I'd pitch a fit and thrash about like I'm dying. XD Fun fact!: I volunteer at a nature center, and we have a blue-tongued skink, which is probably what you saw, since they're native to Australia. :) His favorite treat is blueberries, oddly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I once cut off the tip of my finger with a rotary quilting cutter."
    o__o that must be really painful. i've experienced it but i think mine wasn't that bad.

    ReplyDelete