Monday, April 30, 2012

Born Wicked

Review Time! Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood is a 2012 YA Debut. Jess was actually of my debutantes of the year so I feel this special kinship towards the book ( of course - that doesn't mean this is not an HONEST review!) However, I was really excited to read this - the cover is gorgeous and I hoped the story was too! Thanks to Penguin for the review copy!

(Goodreads) Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave. Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra. If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.
The Short Story? - A solid debut that combines two of my favourite genres into one brilliant novel! Set in the 1800's Born Wicked is unlike any other witches tale you've read. Spotswood's enticing debut is filled with twists and turns, unpredictable developments, a beautiful romance, loss and sacrifice. Beautifully written, this historical fiction with the touch of the supernatural is a treat to read!

The Long Story? - Gorgeous cover but completely deceiving. I was expecting your average high school chick meets dude tale not some 1800's witches tale ( I mean she's wearing a SHORT DRESS). I'm glad I was wrong because Spotswood combination of historical fiction and the supernatural created a brilliant debut! The story was fabulous but there were elements that could didn't suit my taste. It was one of those plots that grew on you, the pace was a little slow for my taste. I know Spotswood had to write her debut so it fitted with the era but I like my novels with action and adventure and the novel lacked the two. As I read on, it did get more interesting. And eventually I was hooked and unable to put to put the book down! Born Wicked had twists and turns, unpredictable developments, love, loss and sacrifice. More importantly there was a bigger picture than just some teen romance ( which is always nice). I have a clear idea of where the story is heading and I can't wait to read the sequel! Original, Spotswood has taken on witches from a completely new perspective!

There were characters I like, characters I didn't like and ones that I couldn't figure out. Cate was one of those I couldn't figure out, she's a lovely girl but her personality is so ...bland. I know it's the 1800's and she has to look after her sisters but still, there is no fun in this girl. Over the course of the novel she does loosen up a little and her relationship with Finn helps too but she's 16 and she acts like she's going to mid-life crisis (constantly). Finn was probably my favourite character, I can't quite picture him as good-looking but he's really sweet and considerate and a totally 1800's gentlemen. Maura was annoying, immature and not a very nice person. She was stuck-up, jealous and I'm surprised Cate didn't slap because if I was her sister, I totally would. Everything that goes wrong is pretty much her fault. On the other hand, Tess was a real sweetie - the nice sister. I can't wait to see how she develops in the next book because she's completely grown onto me. Overall the characterisation was pretty good, some flaws but I'm sure Spotswood will work on it in the sequel!

In a nutshell, I find that I'm more severe in judging this book than with others. This is probably because I had expectation before I read the book instead of going in clueless. There were a couple of spots in that didn't work for me and the characterisation was a little lacking but overall, it was a very engrossing debut! I really enjoyed it once I got into it, the novel is brilliantly original and addictive especially towards the end. If you're looking for a unique supernatural YA, Born Wicked would be a recommend read! :)

What's it Worth? - Squeeze into the Budget/ Hand Over the Paycheck


Badass Bookie xx 

3 comments:

  1. Squeeze into the Budget/ Hand Over the Paycheck// lol
    i will soon/ hope fully soon
    tnx 4the review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review. I've seen quite a few people say this one is pretty slow but that it picks up. I'll have to give it a go for sure! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have given this book a second glance but I found the beginning in a free sampler and started reading it this morning. I may just have to continue.

    ReplyDelete