Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Skin Deep

Review Time! I was meant to read and review Skin Deep last month but I only got around to the reading part so today I'm going to review it! :D Skin Deep is a 2012 YA Debut! I don't think this book is available for purchase in the US yet but for all you Australian and UK keen readers, you must buy a copy after reading my review! Thanks to Hardie Grant Egmont Australia for the review copy :)

(Goodreads) Ugly people don't have feelings. They're not like everyone else. They don't notice if you stare at them and turn away. And if they did notice, it wouldn't hurt them. They're not like real people. Or that's what I used to think. Before I learned...After the car crash that leaves her best friend dead, Jenna is permanently scarred. She struggles to rebuild her life, but every stare in the street, every time she looks in the mirror, makes her want to retreat further from the world. Until she meets Ryan. Ryan's a traveller. When he and his mother moor their narrow boat on the outskirts of a village, she tells him this time it will be different. He doesn't believe her; he can't imagine why this place shouldn't be as unwelcoming as the rest. Until he meets Jenna. But as Jenna and Ryan grow closer, repercussions from the crash continue to reverberate through the community. And then a body is found...

The Short Story? - One of the best contemporary YA novels I've ever read. Heartbreakingly beautiful and bittersweet, Jarratt has written a moving love story that shows the beauty in flaws. I can't emphasis enough just how wonderfully complex and brilliant this novel is. A tear-jerker plot, beautiful characterisation and prose that that rivals some of the best YA writers out there. Jarratt has written an extraordinary work of contemporary fiction. Skin Deep is a memorable debut that will haunt you long after the last page!

The Long Story? - Wow. This book just blew me away. I'm grasping for words to describe how wonderful this book is. There is an ache in my heart every time I think about it because it's so heartbreakingly beautiful. Jarratt has written a wonderfully complex love story that's both unique and touching. The novel explores various issues like drink-driving, dysfunctional families and coming-to-age. It shows the consequence of a bad decision and how there is ugly in beauty. It explores in depth teenage love and how flaws make us a better person. From the first page, I was in love with this story, it's bittersweet, there is pain and grief and loss everywhere but there is also hope and love and acceptance. Jarratt has written a truly spectacular debut and I just hope everyone has the chance to read such a beautiful, beautiful novel.

The characterisation bought tears to my eyes. Jenna is so so strong. I don't know what I will do if I was ever permanently scarred. Her bravery is a very admirable thing. Initially she's very distraught and upset about how how beauty is marred but as the novel progresses, she learns that beauty is skin deep and that even ugly people have feelings. With the help of Ryan, she's able to get over this obstacle in her life and move on. I loved how Jenna was brave enough to face the world and to give herself another chance. However if it weren't for Ryan, Jenna would have never been able to move on and that's why he's my favourite character of the novel Ryan has stolen my heart and I have no intention of stealing it back. If every boy was like him, we would all have happy endings. He didn't care about Jenna scars and even when he himself was in pain, he was always thinking about the wellbeing of someone else. He had a huge heart, he was funny and he loved Jenna every much. Jenna and Ryan are probably one of my favourite couples ever. The romance between the two is undeniably real.

Skin Deep isn't a well known debut but I hope to get other people to read this book! It's amazing and it's truly a hidden gem just waiting to be found and read. You will cry, you will laugh and you will cry some more. Jarratt's debut has truly touched my heart and it has changed my perspective of the world. If you loved The Fault in Our Stars or Saving June ( two of my favourite contemporaries!) than I would not hesitate to pick this one up!

What's it Worth? - Break out the Piggybank


Badass Bookie xx

5 comments:

  1. Wow .... this sounds like a great read! I'll be keeping my eye for it when it's available in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this book before but consider it added and moved to the top of my to-read list! And this is probably the opposite of the message of the book, but that cover is gorgeous.

    Great review!
    -Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the blurb really interesting because it's so harsh! If someone really thought "ugly people don't have feelings" I'd want to kick them! However, it's also what makes the book intriguing! Will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Added this to my to-read list, it sounds fantastic, thanks for bringing it to my attention

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, thanks for the review. Had not heard of this book before so it's good to reviewed it. :) Sounds interesting. I feel like contemporary realistic YA fiction always get sidetracked due to paranormal/dystopian. And that sucks. Anyways, thanks again.
    - - O.ops I Read That Book!

    ReplyDelete