Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Beauty Queens

Review Time! Beauty Queens by Libba Bray is probably one of the most anticipated novels I’ve seen around. Lots of talk of it and who doesn’t love a story about beauty pageants contestants stranded on an island? Thanks to Allen and Unwin for the review copy!

(Goodreads) The story of a plane of beauty pageant contestants that crashes on a desert island.


Teen beauty queens. A "Lost"-like island. Mysteries and dangers. No access to email. And the spirit of fierce, feral competition that lives underground in girls, a savage brutality that can only be revealed by a journey into the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Oh, the horror, the horror! Only funnier. With evening gowns. And a body count.



The Short Story? – Beauty Queens isn’t as funny as everyone is making it out to be, it’s funnier. I don’t think I have laughed so hard reading any other books :P Funny, witty and completely original. A hilarious take on beauty queens, reality TV and pop culture. Pure genius, this one is perfect for summer!

The Long Story? – I was really looking forward to reading Beauty Queens, I admit the hype had something to do with it, all the talk about it being funnier than funny completely sold me. Plus, after watching Miss Congeniality I have this fascination with beauty pageants. In all, I had high expectations for this one and it goes without saying that it was brilliant!

The plot was better than I thought it would be. Some of it was expected but some parts were just so random (in a good way). One devastating plane crash later, three quarters of our Miss Teen Dream are dead and the rest are left to play survivor on a lost island. It’s the beginning to an epic adventure. Fast-paced and adventurous, this is a novel that leaves the reader wanting more! Pirates, Boy bands, Nigerian drumming and Evil political leaders are only part of what goes on :P Witty and humorous, beauty queens are not to be underestimated.

In a novel that really can’t all be taken seriously, Bray has managed to weave in real teen dramas, problems that make us stop and actually think so that we actually have to take it seriously. The characterization is amazing. Bray has managed to combine the stereotypical beauty queen personality with ambition, hope and dream to create a cast of characters that are hard not love. The girls really grew on me! A novel that really embraces ‘Don’t judge people by the way they look’.

Writing was fantastic, I wouldn’t have expected anything less from Bray. Funny, random (in a good way) and comfortable. It’s light, cute and fluffy and perfect for summer. Special mention for Bray’s admirable ability to write the lyrics of ‘Let Me Shave Your Legs Tonight, Girl’ (see funny?). I don’t know how Bray comes up with half the stuff she writes but it’s fantastic!

Beauty Queens is one to be enjoyed by readers of all ages. Witty, funny and exciting. Bray manages to explore real teen crises within the completely hilarious take on pop culture. Strongly recommend this to everyone because we’re never too old for beauty queens ;P

Rating - 5/5

Badass Bookie xx

4 comments:

  1. I love this review! I have Beauty Queens on my TBR pile, I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems you were able to appreciate it more than I did. I still really enjoyed it - it's just not a keeper for me. I did have some good laughs though!

    Great review though, and really, after that WORD FROM SPONSER first page, there was no turning back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it so much! I'm so looking forward to reading this book, I've been waiting for it ever since I finished her Gemma Doyle books. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!! I sooo want this one! I need to buy it ASAP!

    The Bookish Brunette

    ReplyDelete