Monday, August 20, 2012

Spark

Review Time! Spark by Amy Kathleen Ryan is the sequel to Glow (My Review), the first book in the Sky Chasers Trilogy! I'm reading Spark for Presenting Lenore's Dystopian August which is a fabulous event you guys should all go check out! You can purchase a copy Spark here - The Nile | Fishpond | Booktopia | Dymocks | Angus and Robertson. Thanks to Pan Macmillan for the review copy!

(Goodreads) Waverly and Kieran are finally reunited on the Empyrean. Kieran has led the boys safely up to this point, and now that the girls are back, their mission seems slightly less impossible: to chase down the New Horizon, and save their parents from the enemy ship. But nothing is truly as it seems…Kieran’s leadership methods have raised Seth’s hackles— and Waverly’s suspicions. Is this really her fiancĂ©? The handsome, loving boy she was torn from just a short time before? More and more, she finds her thoughts aligned with Seth’s. But if Seth is Kieran’s Enemy No. 1, what does that make her? 

In one night, a strange explosion rocks the Empyrean—shooting them off course and delaying their pursuit of the New Horizon—and Seth is mysteriously released from the brig. Seth is the most obvious suspect for the explosion, and Waverly the most obvious suspect for releasing him. As the tension reaches a boiling point, will Seth be able to find the true culprit before Kieran locks them both away—or worse? Will Waverly follow her heart, even if it puts lives at risk? With the balance of power precarious and the clock ticking, every decision counts… every step brings them closer to a new beginning, or a sudden end...
The Short Story? -  Ryan does not fail to impress in this in action-packed, fast-paced and completely engrossing sequel to Glow! While I loved Glow, my love for Spark cannot even compare - this novel is absolutely brilliant! The characterisation was so intense, reading this book was an emotional roller coaster. The plot was amazing, filled from cover to cover with action, mystery, suspense and romance. I highly recommend this series to lovers of Beth Revis' Across the Universe series - this is definitely a series you don't want to miss out on!

The Long Story? - Honestly, my love for Spark is one fat surprise to me. I loved Glow but it wasn't amazing and I guess my expectations for Spark weren't very high but this book is absolutely amazing! I liked the plot of Spark a lot more than Glow, it was more intense and it was really interesting to see how these teenagers were going to run the ship by themselves. There was so much responsibility and it was exciting to see them take on the role as the adults. Ryan also has a unique take on the dystopian element of "control and rebellion", I loved the idea of a religious cult in space. I also really liked the mystery and suspense element in the story and the action was a nice touch as well! Beautifully written and paired with such a unique plot, Spark is a spectacular sequel. I would definitely encourage people who have read Glow to pick it up and if you're looking for a new sci-fi/dystopian series, you should definitely check out Glow and Spark!

What really stood out to me in Spark was the characterisation. This is definitely my favourite aspect of the novel. Ryan's character portrayal brings was fantastic. She gives them depth and all her characters just bring so much raw emotion out of readers ( or just me). I've definitely come to like Waverly more than I did in Glow, she grew so much as a person since the previous novel. I think the horrific events have changed her and as she worked past the guilt and grief, she's really come up on top as a better, more confident person. I absolutely hated Kieran during this novel and I think that's how Ryan wanted us to feel towards him. He was a jerk and power has completely corrupted his mind, he's self absorbed and I had the strongest urge to punch him in the face. I really hope he changes his attitude and reflects on his actions because there is nothing attractive about boys who are jerks. Seth has done a complete 180, he's gone from being the bad guy to the good guy and he really grew on me in Spark. I would like to see more of him in the next book.

For those of you who have read Glow, I would highly recommend you to pick Spark up ASAP because this one is even more amazing than Glow! If you love space travel, dystopian and lots of action, mystery and a romance tagline you should check out this series! I personally can't wait for Book #3 which is going to be even more amazing because that cliff hanger ending calls for an epic finale to a brilliant series! A must-read!

What's it Worth? - Break Out the Piggybank

Badass Bookie xx

1 comment:

  1. While I wasn't a huge fan of the Across The Universe series, I think I need to check this series out. I have a copy of Glow on my shelf. I'll have to give it a shot soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete