Saturday, December 10, 2011

Epic Fail

Review Time! Hey guys great news, instead of six weeks, I'm only going away for three! Therefore in a week and a half, I'll be back in Australia where Blogger is NOT blocked :) Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik is a 2011 YA Debut, it's a retelling of Pride and Prejudice and a fantastic YA contemporary!
(Goodreads) Will Elise’s love life be an epic win or an epic fail?
At Coral Tree Prep in Los Angeles, who your parents are can make or break you. Case in point:
As the son of Hollywood royalty, Derek Edwards is pretty much prince of the school—not that he deigns to acknowledge many of his loyal subjects.
As the daughter of the new principal, Elise Benton isn’t exactly on everyone’s must-sit-next-to-at-lunch list.
When Elise’s beautiful sister catches the eye of the prince’s best friend, Elise gets to spend a lot of time with Derek, making her the envy of every girl on campus. Except she refuses to fall for any of his rare smiles and instead warms up to his enemy, the surprisingly charming social outcast Webster Grant. But in this hilarious tale of fitting in and flirting, not all snubs are undeserved, not all celebrity brats are bratty, and pride and prejudice can get in the way of true love for only so long.

The Short Story? - From the moment I read the title, I knew this was going to be an awesome novel and I'm so glad that it didn't disappoint me! Funny ( read tears if laughter - legit), cute and overly romantic. Epic Fail is perfect for anyone looking for a great romance and a big laugh. Beautiful characterization and prose, I salute LaZebnik for an excellent debut!


The Long Story? - Honestly the novel should have be called Epicly Awesome or something because the novel  is certainly not an epic fail :) The jest of the novel is the same as every other retelling of Pride and Prejudice but the smaller details are what makes it awesome. Firstly, I love reading about preppy, rich people especially girls who have it all. Secondly, I love novels set in " preppy" schools and thirdly, I love the cliched " IT" boy! Basically Epic Fail was my type of a good read and the best part is that it's a Pride and Prejudice retelling, double awesome! Comfortable to read, easy to get into and beautiful prose, LaZebnik has not only come up with a genius plot but written it superbly as well! For fans of Pride and Prejudice and YA Rom-Com!


Eliza the protagonist is extremely funny and I love my characters with a sense of humor. It just gives the whole novel a happy feel! Eliza isn witty, sarcastic, funny and she's really a great character. She's very loyal t her sister and I can SO relate to her. Derek is more of the strong sand silent type but I think without him, the novel wouldn't have been so enjoyable. It was the difference in his and Eliza's personality that really made the novel memorable!  The supporting characters were ver well developed as well, overall, it was just a fantastic cast. Very nice characters :)


I guess I'll just leave you with this message - READ IT! I can't think of anyone who wouldn't like this novel! If you love Rom-Com, if you love P&P and if you love a novel that will have you rolling in laughter, this is your next read! Perfect for a night in or a day at the beach, LaZebnik has written a very fine debut that will definitely be remembered!


Rating - 5/5


Badass Bookie xx

5 comments:

  1. This was one of my most anticipated reads of 2011 and also one of the most disappointing books I've read this year. But I'm glad you loved it. I just dislike the fact that this was so similar to Prom and Prejudice, which is also a retelling of Pride and Prejudice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds great!
    When i saw the cover and the title for this book i was already engaged.
    Thanks!
    =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This author sounds quite interesting. I was searching this kind of information. I will share this information with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen a lot of good things about this one! It sounds really cute! Nice review!

    Magical Urban Fantasy Reads
    bookluvrmindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds fantastic - and laugh out loud funny is always a winner for me.

    ReplyDelete