Monday, March 28, 2011

Midnight Alley ( Spoiler-Free!)

Review Time! For those who haven't read The Morganville Vampires yet, I strongly encourage you to do so asap! It's really a fantastic series, I would also like to take the moment to thank-you Penguin for providing review copies! Alrighty, let's get started...

(Goodreads) Morganville’s such a nice place to live… And die. If you don’t mind that sort of thing.When Claire Danvers learnt that her college town was run by vampires, she did what any intelligent, self-preserving student would do: she applied for a transfer and stocked up on garlic. The transfer is no longer an option, but the garlic may come in handy.Now Claire has pledged herself to Amelie, the most powerful vampire in town. The protection her contract secures does little to reassure her friends. All of a sudden people are turning up dead, a stalker resurfaces from Claire’s past, and an ancient bloodsucker extends a chilling invitation for private lessons in his secluded home.

The Short Story ? - Mmmm I think Midnight Alley was a little more laid back, less action than the previous book but still set at a faster pace than most books. It was a little bit more about the characters themselves, romance and adapting to change and a little bit less about saving the world so really it was perfect! Definitely my favourite in the series so far!

The Long Story ? - Let's just have a quick recap on reason why The Morganville Vampires is such a fantastic series. 1) The Originality or correctly the lack of originality, I'm sorry but is it just me whose a little bit sick of extreme take-ons on vampires. Bring back the evil Dracula types! 2) Fast Pace, I'm easily bored and like my book full of action so they keep me at the edge of seat, there is a reason why it only takes me a day to midnight Alley while it takes me three weeks to read a novel of the same length. 3) Fantastic Characterisation, I get annoyed when I read about characters who are just too perfect, it's simply just not real, the best characters are the ones that we can relate to whether it's through our similarities or a weaknesses. The characters in this novel aren't perfect, they have their weaknesses which makes them a little more real even when we are reading about vampires!

There you have it, top three reasons why The Morganville Vampires are awesome!

Midnight Alley was no exception, the plot was set at a slower pace then the last book but it definitely wasn't boring! A few near-death experiences, a few murders and dangerous secrets are so not boring. Each sequel is set immediately after the last book so it never really becomes boring, the action just keeps going, no break interval! This is literally one series with no boring bits ;) I especially loved the plot in this book because instead of just focusing on the storyline, it focuses quite a bit on character development as they all adapt to the changes in their lives.

The characterisation which is one of the highlights of the series only got better. It's really quite something to see the character development over the period of just three books. Claire has gained courage and instead of being just a whiny sixteen year old she's kinda of badass now. However the other roomies also went through some self reflection as they adapt to the 'new' Michael. The romance between Claire and Shane is really blossoming! They're so cute together I can't wait to see what happens in the next book!

Lastly, Rachel Caine is a fantastic writer! I absolutely love her writing style which really easy to read. It's comfortable and has a nice flow which makes it harder to put down because you just want to keep on reading! Rachel Caine would definitely be one of my favourite writers, her books literally just fly! I finished Midnight Alley in less then a day ( which is something when you're me) !

Overall, my opinion about this series hasn't changed! READ THIS! Fantastic plot, fast paced and great characterisation! This is one vampire series that Bookie approves, do yourself a favour and go pick a copy :)
Rating 5/5 ( Did I mention the beautiful cover? )

Badass Bookie xx

1 comment:

  1. Well I typed out a whole lovely comment to this last night and then my iPod deleted it :(

    But if my memory serves me, I was talking about how I liked that this series was action based without sacraficing characterisation - like you said in your awesome review!

    I haven't made it past book one yet (although I did like Glass Houses, so I don't know why I haven't picked up DGD?!)

    Regardless, great review and I'm hoping to get to the next few in the Morganville series before Caine visits us (this May, right?)

    ReplyDelete