Friday, June 1, 2012

Of Poseidon

Review Time! Happy Australian Release Day Anna Banks! All my fabulous Australian readers - Of Poseidon is on sale today at your nearest bookstores today! If you're looking to purchase online here are some awesome bookstores - Fishpond | Booktopia | The Book Depository. Super excited to review this 2012 YA Debut, thanks to Hardie Grant Egmont for the review copy! :)

(Goodreads) Galen is strong, protective and gorgeous, with striking violet eyes and a body to make you shiver - and that's just when he's in human form. He's from the House of Triton, god of the sea, and he's searching for a girl with the gift of Poseidon to save his brother from marrying a fraud. Emma is a human. Or so she thinks. When Emma meets Galen on the beach, they both sense a sizzling chemistry. But can Galen convince her that she holds the key to his kingdom - without letting on that he's falling for her?




The Short Story? - A wonderfully sweet YA Debut! The first word that comes to mind when describing Of Poseidon is 'gentle' ( relative term). There is a fine line between peaceful and boring and Banks is definitely on the right side of that line! A very comfortable read with a sizzling romance and a beautiful supernatural touch. Of Poseidon is every bit as awesome as we all expected it to be!

The Long Story? - The book certainly started with a bang, remember when I said 'gentle' was a relative term? Well the first few chapters were anything but gentle. However as the story progressed, the novel became really peaceful ( also a relative term). Of Poseidon is like a stroll in the park, a leisurely pace -which is so comfortable you stay past your bedtime, quite peaceful - meaning no one is trying to kill our protagonist and gentle - Banks isn't trying to shove supernatural down your throat. Everything about this book is comforting and enjoyable. I really liked plot, it wasn't very action packed but Banks has developed a plot that hold my interest and that's all I ask for. My main problem with the book was that I didn't quite understand the whole " Of Poseidon" aspect. Apparently if you have the gift of Poseidon, you're meant to be the saviour of the your race but if two kingdoms are already at odds - what's the point? It's hard to explain but overall a very solid debut that I thoroughly enjoyed and would think you will too!

The characterisation was good too! I really liked Emma, her personality was really likeable! She was nice, shy but also feisty and able to hold her own side of an argument. I can't help but think she's a little inconsiderate especially when her best friend dies - I mean I would be in mooring forever but she got over it as soon as Galen pops up? And it was a "tad" unbelievable when she just "accepts" that she's not human! I mean there was like pretty much NO FREAKING OUT - too convenient? I THINK SO! Although overall, I still really liked Emma! Galen was SOOOO cute! I'm normally not into the whole possessive boyfriend thing but on this particular merman - it was so "fitting". Emma and Galen romance is  one epic tagline! I also grew a soft spot for Taref because I'm really into funny boys you know?

Overall Of Poseidon is quite possibly ( okay definitely) my favourite mermaid book! It feels nice to read a paranormal romance that's told with such a comfortable narrative voice in such a leisurely pace. It almost feels like a fiction break from fiction. Great characterisation, loved the plot, killer cliff hanger and the writing was beautiful! Of Poseidon is truly an extraordinary debut that's waiting to be discovered! Two thumbs up!

What's it Worth? - Hand Over the Paycheck/ Break Out the Piggy Bank


Badass Bookie xx

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm going to be reading this one soon-ish so I'm happy to hear good things about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard a lot of good things about this. Nice Review! Gotta check it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A book pet peeve of mine is when characters just accept things. However, I've heard great things about the book. I need to check it out soon.

    ReplyDelete