Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Fire

Review Time! Recently Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore was released and that got me thinking about how much I enjoyed Graceling yet I haven't read Fire! SO I dropped everything on my review pile and decided to pick up Fire and actually read it instead of just looking at the cover. Probably one of the smartest things I've ever done. Fire was amazing. Read on for a full review!

(Goodreads) It is not a peaceful time in the Dells. The young King Nash clings to his throne while rebel lords in the north and south build armies to unseat him. The mountains and forests are filled with spies and thieves and lawless men.

This is where Fire lives. With a wild, irresistible appearance and hair the color of flame, Fire is the last remaining human monster. Equally hated and adored, she has the unique ability to control minds, but she guards her power, unwilling to steal the secrets of innocent people. Especially when she has so many of her own.

Then Prince Brigan comes to bring her to King City. The royal family needs her help to uncover the plot against the king. Far away from home, Fire begins to realize there’s more to her power than she ever dreamed. Her power could save the kingdom.

If only she weren’t afraid of becoming the monster her father was.


The Short Story? - This is high fantasy at it's best! Fire was breathtakingly amazing. What a phenomenal novel! I loved Graceling but it's got nothing on Fire! The plot was brilliant, it was unpredictable, filled with twists and turns and jaw-dropping curveballs that kept you entertained. Fire was an amazing character, brave, smart, kind and very likeable. I practically devoured the book. This is definitely one of those books that grips onto you and doesn't let go. You might lose sleep!

The Long Story? - What you need to know is that Graceling and Fire are companion novels. In fact Fire has nothing to do with Graceling besides that they're set in the same world. Fire is set like years before Graceling so in a way it's kinda like a prequel. I didn't think it was possible for me to enjoy Fire anymore than I enjoyed Graceling but I did! The plot was very complex, clearly Cashore has planned it because everything weaves nicely together. Cashore has this very sneaky way of pitching curveballs at readers just as we are getting comfortable with the story. So many secrets were dropped during this novel, each bigger and better than the previous. I love how unpredictable Fire is! I love how it draw so many emotions out of me, I cried, I laughed, I got angry, I got sad - a truly magnificent roller coaster ride! The romance was also  an appealing factor because it wasn't the main focus but a nice little tagline.

The characterisation was just amazing! Fire is probably one of my favourite heroines to have encountered in YA fiction. She's brave, kind-hearted, smart and easy to connect with. She's constantly fighting with her own conscious and her ability to invade other people's minds. She's scared that she will become her father and her troubles just seem so real and readers can connect with Fire through them. I also like how Cashore is very open about Fire's beauty. It's not one of those novels where characters are referred to as "causally attractive" or something. Fire is a great beauty and her looks are one of her weapons. Archer, I grew really close to Archer through this novel and I was sad to see that Fire and Archer didn't end up together. He's protectiveness was really cute and his personality was so sweet. Brigan, initially I didn't think much of him but over the course of the novel, he really grew on me - he ended up being one of my favourite characters of the novel. There are so many great characters in Fire and I wish I could discuss them all but I can't - just now it's an amazing cast of characters that you will grow very fond of.

Fire isn't a recent release but for those of you who haven't read it - it's definitely worth going back and reading this absolutely amazing jewel. Probably one of those few books that I've ever read that were completely satisfying. I can't find fault in this novel. Cashore work is flawless and I highly commend her story-telling abilities. This is one of those novels that you are sure to love. You don't want to miss out! TRUST ME!

What's it Worth - BREAK OUT THE PIGGYBANK ( Buy your mum a copy too!)


Badass Bookie xx

6 comments:

  1. "Fire is a great beauty and her looks are one of her weapons."

    OH! THIS SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE I KNOW XD

    Aaaah, Lisa! SO EXCITED YOU LOVED THIS! I adored Graceling, and I didn't think it possible, but I loved Fire EVEN MORE. AMAZING! For all the reasons you said :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH YESS!! I just read this one last week after FINALLY reading Graceling and I've utterly fallen in love with Kristin Cashore's books <3 I NEED Bitterblue ASAP. I'm not sure I loved Fire more than Graceling (too hard to compare) BUT I totally agree with you that the love plot in this one is just so good.

    Fantastic review!! <3

    Brenna from Esther's Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I liked Graceling more than Fire but I am eagerly awaiting my hold to come in at the library so I can complete the trilogy and see which story works best for me. I do think Cashore is an amazing writer no matter what though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes Fire better than Graceling! I'm not sure what it is about Fire, but I just fell head over heels in love with that book. Now that I think about it, I feel the sudden urge to reread it! Also, the cover is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Fire and Graceling (and am like you in that I like Fire more than Graceling), but I wonder what you'd think of Bitterblue - personally, I didn't enjoy it as much as the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I'm REALLY missing out by not having read any of Cashore's books! I should change that soon, right? ;) Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete