Friday, May 25, 2012

The Hunger ( But Mainly Death) Game

Review Time! I normally don't accept review requests because of all the unsolicited review copies I receive and my out-of-control review pile but I could never reject a parody. The Hunger ( But Mainly Death) Games by Bratniss Everclean is a parody of the bestselling The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Thank-you to the authors for the review copy!

(Goodreads) Mockstrich season has begun. Welcome to "The Hunger But Mainly Death Games," the hilarious Hunger Games parody, and the only book brave enough to suggest that Suzanne Collins's epic trilogy was way more about death than food.
Or at least this is what Bratniss Everclean discovers, when she leaves the comforts of Slum 12, Pandumb’s garbage dump, to shortsightedly volunteer for a teenage death tournament. But she soon realizes there are fates worse than death…like weirdly having to date her fellow competitor, and lifelong stalker, Pita Malarkey. Okay, okay, it’s not worse than DEATH, but it’s still pretty annoying.
Still, with help from her agent Oofie Triptrip and her mentor, Hagridmitch, who’s pretty sure he can guide Bratniss to victory in the Tri-Wizard Cup, maybe Bratniss will somehow survive this book that she’s the narrator of. 


The Short Story? - This wasn't my cup of tea. I love a good humorous read but this is not my type of humour. The authors have the right idea but honestly I found I'm a little too old for toilet and hygiene sense humour. The novel wasn't badly written but with it wasn't easy to connect with the characters especially when I couldn't take them seriously. Honestly - it's a no go for me :(

The Long Story? - I really wanted to like this book but I didn't. There were parts that I did like but overall I wasn't impressed! The plot is didn't appeal to me, I know it's meant to be funny and stupid ( it's a parody after all!) but I didn't like it. Maybe I'm too serious for this kind of book? I love my parodies but maybe I like the Hunger Games too much to truly appreciate this? The plot was just more silly than funny and the writing was hard to slip into. This could because there were multiple authors or whatnot but it was so hard to connect with Bratniss and I understand connection isn't what the authors are looking for but I've read so many great YA books, humorous ones and this one just didn't seem polished enough. I just found it a little....lacking and maybe even a little childish? I was expecting it to be a more developed plot and it didn't measure up! Characterisation was much of the same as the plot. I didn't really feel for the characters. Bratniss wasn't a well developed character and I found that was more or less the same with the other characters in the novel.

The novel JUST wasn't my cup of tea. I've looked at other reviews of the book and there are many people who enjoyed it! Lots of people found it hilarious but I guess I just wasn't one of them :( It's not my cup of tea but it might be yours!


What's it Worth? - Squeeze into the Budget


Badass Bookie xx

5 comments:

  1. Never heard of this book before but sounds interesting. that cover is kind of funny. Anyway, great review Lisa. x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an amusing read, but from your review, I don't think it's quite my humor either. I like humor and I can even make fun of the things I love, but I'm a bit done with the too-childish humor as well. I did read The Hunger Pains (another parody) and I really loved that one, so maybe you could try that out?

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll probably get it cause it's about the HG, but it doesn't really sound like my kinda thing either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha xD I haven't even heard about this before. Well, I guess it's not all that good, since it hasn't been storming the blogosphere (as far as I can tell). I appreciate your honest review, hon, I think I am a bit too old for toilet and hygiene humour, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, boo! Sucks it wasn't for you, but hey. What can you do? I guess when you have a series like THG, the expectations are huge. If you're going to parody, it has to be FUNNY. ANYWAY, mo well. ON TO BIGGER AND BETTER BOOKS ^__^

    ReplyDelete