Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Insurgent

Review Time! Yesterday was the release date for INSURGENT by Veronica Roth! The highly anticipated sequel to one of the best YA books of 2011 - if you haven't bought your copy already, exactly which rock do you live under? You can purchase a copy of the book from Booktopia | The Nile | Fishpond. Thanks to HarperCollins for my lovely review copy! :)

(Goodreads) War looms in sixteen-year-old Tris’s dark dystopian world as disputes between the factions grow. Tris must now fight against all odds to discover the truth that can save her and the people she loves. Sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge – and the choices she makes will have devastating and unexpected consequences.










The Short Story? - I've come to the conclusion that Roth does not disappoint! Just when we thought she couldn't top Divergent she writes this phenomenal sequel that left my jaw hanging. Exciting, dangerous and packed with action, Insurgent had me hooked before I even read the first word! Great character development and Roth has chucked some pretty heavy problems at the lovebirds. Beautifully written as always, Insurgent is a spectacular sequel that anyone in the right mind would have bought a copy already!!! :)

The Long Story? - Honestly, I didn't think Ms. Roth could do it. She wrote such an amazing debut, I thought 'there is no way she can write a better sequel' - but she did. Get this, Divergent will always be my favourite out of the two purely because that's where everything started, the growing up, the falling in love, the fighting, the rebellion - for me, the start holds sentiment. However Insurgent was just breathtakingly amazing! Filled with action and danger - I got an adrenaline rush just reading the book! Roth has planned a brilliant plot with just the right amount of mystery. She gives a little and just when the book ends, she dumps the rest on top of us and BAM! We're hooked by the ultimate cliff hanger! A real treat to read from start to finish. Insurgent did not disappoint me at all. If you love a great dystopian with an original plot - Roth's Divergent series is calling your name!

The characterisation was fantastic. I met pretty much all the characters in Divergent but it wasn't until Insurgent that I started to understand them. Tris, our protagonist is a little bit of a super hero slash adrenaline junkie but she's also the bravest and strongest girl I've ever "met". She's not perfect and I don't agree with all her choices but it's from those choices that she develops overcomes her fears and insecurities. Four, aside from being downright gorgeous, he's love for Tris and he's own bravery was very admirable. He's a little hard on Tris sometimes and sometimes I think how is this relationship going to work but somehow they always work it out! Uriah, is such a hunk and I'm not going to lie - I have a major crush on him! Caleb left me a little disappointed and I'm keen to see where Roth takes him in the next instalment in the trilogy.

In a nutshell - guys, no one writes YA like Roth. You haven't experienced the best of YA if you haven't read Divergent and Insurgent. Roth, the Queen of Dystopian doesn't leave her league of fans disappointed. Insurgent was everything I thought it would be and more. Brilliantly written, unpredictable and dangerously exciting. Insurgent is a MUST-READ. Fantastic character development, complex plot and a phenomenal narrative voice. Do yourself a favour and get a copy NOW!


What's it Worth? - Break Out the Piggybank


Badass Bookie xx

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad it doesn't disappoint! My copy hasn't arrived yet. :( I'm going crazy waiting for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant wait to read this book! omg! Im currently reading it right now. Great review Lisa. x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I'm reading it right now and totally agree with everything you were saying in your review! This book and series is totally amazing! Roth did a fantastic writing job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duuuuude. Not only does your beauty know no bounds, but your BRAINS. LOVE your review! 'I met pretty much all the characters in Divergent but it wasn't until Insurgent that I started to understand them.' YES!! TRIPLE UNDERLINE THAT. I couldn't have explained this or said it any better than this. We really get to dig under their skin, and learn the nitty-gritty. AMAZING. AMAZING review!

    ReplyDelete