Monday, June 18, 2012

The Selection

Review Time! The Selection by Kiera Cass is a 2012 YA Debut. Despite all the controversies and bad review surround this book, I was super excited to read it because I don't believe in judging a book before I read it! And it turned out to be great! You can purchase your copies from Fishpond | The Nile | Booktopia. Thanks goes to HarperCollins for the review copy! :)

(Goodreads) Thirty-five beautiful girls. Thirty-five beautiful rivals…

It’s the chance of a lifetime and 17-year-old America Singer should feel lucky. She has been chosen for The Selection, a reality TV lottery in which the special few compete for gorgeous Prince Maxon's love.

Swept up in a world of elaborate gowns, glittering jewels and decadent feasts, America is living a new and glamorous life. And the prince takes a special interest in her, much to the outrage of the others.

Rivalry within The Selection is fierce and not all of the girls are prepared to play by the rules. But what they don’t know is that America has a secret — one which could throw the whole competition… and change her life forever.
The Short Story? - One of my favourite 2012 YA Debuts I've read this year! I think people shouldn't be so quick to judge because Cass is a brilliant writer with a wonderful imagination. Absolutely amazing plot and fantastic world-building! America Singer is such a memorable character and this is one love triangle that I approve of! A phenomenal debut that hasn't received the justice it deserves, bookie highly recommends it to everyone!

The Long Story? - Children, you must all stop judging a book by a bad review because you don't know what you're missing! The Selection completely blew me away! This is the first book since my reading slump that's made me think "wow-factor". To sum it up "The Selection is one of favourite dystopian reads EVER". I loved the concept of the Selection, the Bachelor meets the Hunger Games sums up the concept pretty well. Cass's dystopian society is very different, while there are lots of rules and regulations, it's definitely less controlling than most of the dystopian worlds I've seen in YA literature. I also liked the concept of a caste system, it definitely makes the story more interesting and gives the romance a nice twist. Which leads me to say, I really like the romance in The Selection, towards the end, a love triangle became undeniable although the signs were there throughout the novel. However this is one love triangle I'm excited about because I'm absolutely torn between the two gores boys although I'm leaning towards Maxon! Really enjoyed it! :)

The characterisation was fantastic! America Singer, despite her name is really down-to-earth and easy to connect with. I liked her level-headed, tough girl, tom boy character! And she's got such a honest and sweet personality, it easy to see why she's got two gorgeous boys all over her! It helps she's pretty too! Aspen is sweet and damn good-looking but I don't think I know him well enough to have a good verdict on his character, he makes rare appearances in the novel but I'm positive he plays a bigger role in the next book! Maxon! TEAM MAXON! What a gorgeous prince! Maxon is probably the nicest royal you'll ever find in a book and he's got great arms (apparently). I'm not going to lie, I really think America should end up with Maxon because Maxon is always there for her even when she didn't want him! Overall, wonderful characterisation that I couldn't have done better myself! :)

In a nutshell, I really wish everyone would rethink their opinions about the novel. The Selection is a phenomenal debut that has taken my breath away! I can not wait to see what Cass has install for us next! Fantastic plot, excellent world-building and wonderful characters - it's so unlike me to be unable to find fault in a novel yet I was happy with every aspect of The Selection! A remarkable debut that won't leave you disappointed!

What's it Worth? - Break Out the Piggybank


Badass Bookie xx

10 comments:

  1. So glad that I found someone that completely agrees with me!! I recently read and reviewed this book and I absolutely loved it! I hate it's gotten so much negative attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally someone to agree with me. I absolutely ADORED this book inside and out, and I just don't understand why so many hated it . . . it was perfect and honestly there was nothing wrong with the book. If only it received more praise! Anyway great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this book is great for those of us who like lite-dystopia. I know that many people like something more intense but this was the perfect speed for me. I am also firmly Team Maxon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is on my tbr list but I haven't gotten to it yet. I heard the CW was going to make a tv show based off this book but they are still working on it. I am going to have to try to read it before that happens. Thanks for the review. Glad you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you liked this! I'm really keen to read it, but haven't been able to get a copy to far- I've read some not so positive reviews, but I'm still firmly decided upon reading it and seeing wether I like it for myself! Still, it's great to find someone who really likes it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read so many different reviews for this, and I really want to get my hands on a copy now! Really glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked this for the reasons you mentioned too. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of the few positive reviews I've read of The Selection and it's great to hear that you liked it! I've admittedly been sort of turned off by the bad reviews, but I guess I'll just have to read it and decide for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your reviews and your blog. This is your new follower! Don't hesitate to check out my blog - das02611.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have mixed feelings about reading this book. I haven't buy it, let alone read it yet, because they are so many negative reviews, it seems off-putting, to me. But, it looks like you enjoyed it very much! I think I'll give this a go and see it for myself. I like tough girl characters too. The cover is sooooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete