Friday, June 29, 2012

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar

Review Time! The Girl in the Clockwork Collar is the sequel to The Girl in the Steel Corset which was one of my favourite YA books of last year! Kady Cross is an amazing writer of all thing steampunk! If you haven't read the book, you can purchase a copy here - Booktopia | The Nile | Fishpond. Thanks to HarlequinTeen for the review copy!

(Goodreads) In New York City, 1897, life has never been more thrilling - or dangerous. 

Sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne and her "straynge band of mysfits" have journeyed from London to America to rescue their friend Jasper, hauled off by bounty hunters. But Jasper is in the clutches of a devious former friend demanding a trade-the dangerous device Jasper stole from him...for the life of the girl Jasper loves. 

One false move from Jasper and the strange clockwork collar around Mei's neck tightens. And tightens.


The Short Story? - Kady Cross doesn't disappoint with this eagerly anticipated sequel to The Girl in the Steel Corset! Following Finley and her friend's adventures through the American criminal underworld! Filled with adventure, mystery, betrayal, romance and action, The Girl in the Clockwork Collar was completely unputdownable. For lovers of steampunk and YA, Cross's sophomore novel is one to look out for!


The Long Story? - I really enjoyed The Girl in the Clockwork Collar but I still think The Girl in the Steel Corset was more amazing! In terms of the plot, I think The Girl in the Clockwork Collar lacked the intense action that was noticeable in first book of the series. However, it was still amazing compared to other YA books I've read this year. I very much liked the drama and mystery that Cross has incorporated into the plot along with the betrayal which really shocked me. I also liked the New York setting because the majority of steampunk novels are set in London and it gets a little repetitive over time so it very nice to see a different setting for once. I also really enjoyed all the cool gadgets that Cross came up with for the novel, honestly, I still don't understand half of them but I liked how she's incorporated the steampunk into her novel! Overall, it was an enjoyable plot, especially towards the end when things became really intense! Definitely worth a read!

I felt myself deflate a little when I realised that Jack wasn't going to be making an appearance in The Girl in the Clockwork Collar because TEAM JACK! However even without a peep at Jack's handsome character, the characterisation was fantastic! Finley has definitely developed as a character, she's tougher, more confident and maybe even a little reckless but I really liked that about her. Makes her really badass! Griffin, grudgingly I have to admit, does have a charismatic personality and in the absence of Jack, I've been able to see how sweet he is. Emily was another character that I really grew to like in this novel, very tough little girl! Jasper! My heart goes out to Jasper who suffered so much throughout this novel, he's the biggest sweetheart <3 And Sam's protectiveness over Emily and Griffin is completely adorable. Definitely one of my favourite casts in YA fiction! :)

In a nutshell, I can't think of a better book to read, if you're looking for an unputdownable, completely amazing novel with a little bit of everything for everyone! Great romance, a fierce heroine, a fantastic plot and above all, beautifully written in Cross's signature style! The Girl in the Clockwork Collar is definitely a novel that you should all invest in! Two thumbs up!

What's it Worth? - Hand Over the Paycheck/ Break Out the Piggybank


Badass Bookie xx

3 comments:

  1. See, as a non Jack Dandy fan, I liked this one more-I liked that the love triangles had settled down and getting to see a steampunk America because I don't think I've read one before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I am really looking forward to this one. Even though I think some of the stuff in the first book was a little strange for the time period (I don't know if that was intentional or not with the steampunk genre) I really liked it. Glad you liked this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. I SOOO need to read Steel Corset already -___-
    I've not read MUCH Steampunk but I love EVERYTHING I have, and this sounds EPIC. Shame you didn't love it QUITE as much as the last, but still :)

    ReplyDelete