Monday, May 21, 2012

Team Human

Review Time! It's good to be back to regular blogging schedule, I have a whole bunch books I need to read and review! AND I'm THREE books behind on my Goodreads challenge which makes me really really sad :'( Anyway, Team Human is the most recent novel written by Sarah Rees Brennan and Justine Larbalestier. Thanks to Allen and Unwin for the ARC! Purchase your copy at Fishpond!


(Goodreads) When a vampire shows up at Mel’s high school, it’s up to Mel to keep her best friend from falling in love with him. Add a mysterious disappearance, a cranky vampire cop, a number of unlikely romantic entanglements, and the occasional zombie, and soon Mel is hip-deep in an adventure that is equal parts hilarious and poignant.








The Short Story? - Team Human is a highly original YA novel! Two of the most brilliant YA authors have come together to write one heck of a novel! A brilliant plot that antagonises vampires ( hey! that's different!), a romance tagline that's completely adorable and a feisty protagonist that really grows on you with her lack of grace and fierce loyalty. Team Human is the ultimate juxtaposition to YA paranormal mainstream. Brennan and Larbalestier are bringing back the human glory!

The Long Story? - The novel and I got off to a rough start but everything smoothed over about 80 pages into the novel. Team Human is a wonderfully unique idea and Brennan and Larbalestier are two very brilliant authors. The writing style took some time to get used to, mainly because of the different writing styles due to two authors. However over the course of the novel you get used to it! The plot  started off a little too fast and too slow at the same time. There was this massive rush of events in the first 20 pages and then it slowed considerably and kind of pondered along until about 80 pages in. The thing I liked the most about the plot was definitely originality. In YA we have no shortage of books supporting to paranormal but to get a novel that's Team Human is quite something. I enjoyed the book but I had higher expectations, some events were a little too predictable and others a little frustrating. However the idea was unique, I loved the romance tagline and the mystery element about Anna's missing dad was good! Overall, it was enjoyable!

I had some problems with the characters. Some people might describe Mel as feisty but to me, she came off as irritating and rude. I really felt like she lacked manners and some of the things that came out of her mouth should have been left unsaid. She grows onto you as you progress through the book and her intentions are good and her fierce loyalty is something truly admirable, she's just a really "explosive" character and that kinda clashes with my own personality. Cathy really annoyed me. I felt she was really 2D and she was too nice and ignorant. She was all lovesick over Francis ( which is kind of the point) but it just got a little too extreme sometimes, I felt the urge to shake her and say "GET A GRIP AND MAN UP!". Francis had noooo appeal so I didn't see the attraction and he was under developed. However I really liked Kit ( and the story behind his name) as well as Camille! Characterisation wasn't a highlight for the novel but the characters kinda fitted with the novel as a whole.

Team Human wasn't perfect but that didn't make it any less enjoyable. It was a rough start but I ended really loving the book, so much that I stayed up late to read it and woke up early to finish. Even with our clashing personalities, Mel was a good protagonist for Team Human, without such a strong-willed and fiery character, Team Human definitely would have lost to Team Vampire :D Overall, good writing, great plot, loved the romance and a solid cast. Thumbs up for Team Human!

What's it Worth? - Squeeze into the Budget/ Hand Over the Paycheck


Badass Bookie xx

2 comments:

  1. Great review. Often i think characters come off as rude too..this looks interesting and i might pick it up. Glad things are getting normal for you..soon you will be three books ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this so badly! It's too eye catching and intriguing!

    Great review! =D

    ReplyDelete