Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend

Review Time! There isn't a mailbox post this week because I didn't check the mailbox or the library so I thought I will take the initiative to write one of my catch-up reviews! A Love Story is the debut novel of YA author Emily Horner, it's about a girls who has just lost her best friend and probably lost herself as well.

Short Story? - Tough review to write for this one, it was a great novel but it wasn't for me. Partly beacuse I didn't know what was going on for half of the book!

Long Story?- Right, so put your hand up if you knew the main character was a lesbian? Now, put your hand up if you didn't ? *puts my hand up*  So it was quite of shocker when I read for half the book and then realise the main character was a lesbian but not for the reason that you may think. I am all for gay pride so no nothing to do with the fact that she was gay but I was shocked because it took me half the book to realise ( it's pretty sad....) So I was quite upset that I may not be as smart as I like to think *cries* but anyway, I don't know if it is just me but I fell asleep while reading this (literally) it was cute and cuddly and make you wanna hug it and blow it a kiss but it was also extremely boring. Also it switched from past to present making it really hard to follow.So I usually don't read those depressing novels right? ( I don't read anything even remotingly about helpless heroines, although sometimes I pick up that I don't realise and read it anyway!) This wasn't really depressing but it was close to it, eh, I can't explain but it just wasn't for me, I mean I didn't like Wintergirls and I know people who love it so it's one of those weird ones that I just can not slip into. Great characters, cute story but the plot was quite boring, easy writing style, not to long and I don't know maybe you will like it better than I did. Rating 2/5

Badass Bookie xx

5 comments:

  1. I've heard too many bad reviews of this one, but I'm still willing to give this one a try--I won a copy of it a while back but it's still in the US. :P It's hard living in La-la land isn't it?

    I didn't like Wintergirls all that much either. I like a lot of those kinds of books, but I think it may have been TOO depressing. TOO serious. Not enough hope, not like TELL ME A SECRET or IF I STAY was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so many terrible for this book which is really disappointing since I think it could have had the potential to be great. I think I'm going to stay away from reading this one and just admire the awesome cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping in via the Book Hop and happy to become a follower. I'm a newbie, and have to tell ya, you've got the best title EVER! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the look of your blog!! I'm following!
    Pris
    www.benterudbookshelf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard both good and bad reviews for this one. The premise sounds like something I'd enjoy, but it might be too confusing for me...great honest review :)

    ReplyDelete