Thursday, November 29, 2012

What's Left Of Me

Review Time! What's Left Of Me by Kat Zhang is a 2012 YA Debut published in October by HarperCollins. This is definitely a book that's gotten a lot of hype before it's release and I was really excited to receive this one for review! You can purchase a copy of the book from Fishpond | The Nile | Booktopia | Bookworld. Thanks to HaperCollins for the review copy!


(Goodreads) Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.

The Short Story? - What's Left Of Me definitely wasn't what I expected it to be but it was nevertheless quite enjoyable! This is a very "light dystopian" novel, in the likes of Delirium while resistance and rebellion is present, it's more of a emotional and developmental journey. The characterisation was good for what it was and the writing was comfortable and easy to slip into. If you're looking for a less intense dystopian YA, I strongly suggest you pick up What's Left Of Me!

The Long Story? - This is one that's gotten a lot of mixed reviews, some people love it while others enjoyed but didn't typically love it. Unfortunately I fall in the second group. I really did *enjoy* What's Left Of Me but for me it lacked a strong plot. YA dystopian is such a popular genre, books have to be more than enjoyable to stand out. The premise of the novel was good, very original and definitely very intriguing but the pace just didn't work with the novel and the "finding myself" aspect was way too overdone. I would have liked to see a little more action, a faster pace and maybe a short beginning because getting into the novel was a long process. That said, the ending was absolutely amazing and once the book took off, it really was a upwards curve. What's Left Of Me wasn't what I wanted it to be which doesn't make it any less enjoyable. Fans of Matched and Delirium will enjoy this one!

For what it was, the characterisation was well done. I've never been one of those readers who really stressed upon good characterisation but good characters make good novels. Eva/Addie were strong protagonists and they went through an amazing emotional journey. The whole process of them accepting who they are and learning to live and fight for what they want really was the main focus of the novel and I enjoyed this aspect ( although in some parts a little overdone!). As protagonists Eva/Addie weren't without flaws but I liked them well enough.  I really liked Ryan/ Devon, they were probably my favourite characters in the novel, their personalities were polar opposites and yet together they seem to work out really well. The characters on a whole were quite well developed and easy to connect with although I did have a problem with Hally/Lissa but that's irrelevant! Overall a solid characterisation ;)

All in all, despite the quite negative review What's Left Of Me was quite enjoyable! It was a slow start but once you got into the novel, it was brilliant. The basis of the novel is extraordinary and I wait to see where Zhang takes Eva/Addie next. Beautifully written, it can't go unmentioned that Zhang's simplistic writing style is incredibly easy to get lost in. Definitely check this one out if you loved Matched by Ally Condie and Delirium by Lauren Oliver!

What's It Worth? - Squeeze into the Budget/ Hand Over the Paycheck

Badass Bookie xx

4 comments:

  1. I'm in the first category of people who loved it. I found the internal journey refreshing and loved the concept of two souls in one body. Sorry you didn't love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read this one. Your review has me interested!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite enjoyed this book. Though I was more a fan of Eva's character than I ever was of Addie's. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean by dystopian being such a huge genre now that a book has to be REALLY great in order to stand out. It's a bummer this one wasn't as good as you hoped. I wasn't a huge fan of Matched, but I do love Delirium so maybe I'll give this one a go. :)

    ReplyDelete