Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Prodigy

Review Time! Prodigy by Marie Lu is the long anticipated sequel to Legend, a phenomenal 2011 YA Debut. You can read my review of Legend - HERE (It's really good!!!). I was so excited to read Prodigy and it was an added bonus that I read it so soon after I finished Legend so the story was still fresh! You can purchase a copy of Legend from The Book Depository | The Nile | Fishpond | Bookworld. Thanks to Penguin for the review copy!

(Goodreads) June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.

It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long.

But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?

The Short Story? - Inspired by Les Miserables, Lu's dystopian YA series is an absolute stunner! With the perfect combination of action and romance, Prodigy exceeded all my expectations for the series! Beautiful character building, well written and the plot was exploding with secret agendas, twists and turns! A land mine of a plot, a beautifully flawed yet strong romance and two characters that stole my heart in their own ways. Lu has truly outdone herself with this extraordinary sequel to a phenomenal debut. Prodigy was completely and utterly amazing!

The Long Story? - One of the worst things that can happen with a series or trilogy is a downhill story. You don't want to read a mind blowing debut and then a completely lacking sequel. Fortunately in this case, Prodigy met all my expectations and then some! I absolutely loved it! There was drama, tension, action, mystery and to wrap it up, a romance tagline. It was just the perfect combination of everything that I love all between a beautiful cover. Well written and brilliantly planned, it's going to be pretty hard to beat a plot like this, I feel sorry for whatever book I have to review next! I also loved the introduction of new characters, the new turn of events AT THE VERY END are going to be very interesting. Undoubtedly, the next book is going to be even more amazing than Prodigy and I can't wait for it! Lu has done a spectacular job with this dystopian YA series, truly a polished gem!

To fall in love with a book, you must fall in love with the characters first and I fell head over heels in love with both June and Day. Initially I was a little hesitant about the characters because they're awfully young for such a dramatised plot, I mean at 15 I wasn't starting revolutions or saving the republic however both have shown outstanding maturity and ugh, I just love them soooo much! June, it's astounding how much she's grown since Legend, she's really had it tough and the way she's dealt with everything is just so brave! Day, apart from being incredibly good looking was so perfect. He wasn't too nice and yes, in parts he was a little bit of a jerk but the way he always pulls through and his love June is so sweet! One of the best coupling in the YA genre, I couldn't be any happier! Although I love June and Day together, I can't help but wonder whether there will be anything between June and Anden. It probably won't be a love triangle but the best romances are the ones that survive all the obstacles!

I like to think of myself as a reasonable book critic, I always try to see the positive and the negative and in this case, I just can't find a negative! I enjoyed it immensely and while it wasn't The Gathering Dark ( which is my favourite book in the entire world!), Prodigy was as close to perfection as I'm willing to say! I highly recommend checking out this series, definitely worth a read! Lu better have something mind shattering planned for book 3 if she wants to meet all my high expectations! Two thumbs up for Prodigy!

What's It Worth? - Hand Over the Paycheck/ Break Out the Piggy Bank

Badass Bookie xx

3 comments:

  1. Great review. I so agree with it. I totally loved this too. Sad that we have to wait for another year for book 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this book look promising enough for me to read thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank differences of information , I would ask permission untukmembagi Links I Regarding traditional medicine Chronic Renal Failure . Once Again thank differences information

    ReplyDelete