Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Spark

Review Time! Spark by Brigid Kemmerer is the sequel to 2012 YA Debut Storm which is probably one of my favourite debuts of 2012! I can't even tell you how excited I was to read this one but at the same nervous because I DIDN'T WANT TO NOT LIKE IT ( luckily that wasn't a problem)! You can purchase a copy of Spark at Fishpond | The Nile | Booktopia | Dymocks | Angus and Robertson. Thanks to Allen and Unwin for the review copy!

(Goodreads) EARTH. FIRE. AIR. WATER.

He could feel flames coming through the floor, looking for him. Sparks and ash rained down. He wasn't going to make it. He was going to fail. Again. Then a hand closed over his wrist and pulled, hard.

Gabriel Merrick plays with fire. Literally. 

Sometimes he can even control it. And sometimes he can’t. So when an arsonist wreaks havoc on his town all the signs point to Gabriel.

Layne is strangely drawn to him. Layne understands family problems, and she understands secrets. She has a few of her own.

Gabriel can’t let Layne know that the danger that’s right at his heels. But there are some risks he can’t help taking.

THE FUSE IS LIT…

The Short Story? - There is very little not to love about Spark - hot boys, steamy romance and interesting plot, you simply can't go wrong with this lethal combination. Kemmerer sequel to her highly acclaimed Storm is everything I expected! Beautifully written, a steamy romance and the most beautiful boy in the world! Completely extraordinary, if you haven't met the Merrick boys yet - you better get your introductions ready!

The Long Story? - Honestly you don't understand how excited I was to read this book, Storm absolutely blew my breath away ( haha PUNZ!) and Spark did not disappoint either! Storm is probably still my favourite despite the fact the man of my dreams is Gabriel Merrick. I guess I just didn't like the idea of him as TAKEN (grrrrr). The plot of Spark was interesting and I thoroughly enjoyed the novel however I felt that the novel was too concentrated around Gabriel and not enough on the bigger picture.  Don't get me wrong, I loved the heavy emphasis on Gabriel, I liked reading about his struggles, his issues and his romance with Layne but I would have liked to see the novel relate more to the bigger picture like it did in Storm. However overall, it was still a beautifully written novel, definitely better written than most YA novels on the market not to mention Spark is undeniable hot and steamy!

As always the characterisation is quite a treat! Gabriel Merrick - you are the sexiest guy I've ever met. To all the girls who like reading about bad boys, prepare the meet the very definition of bad boy. WORD, Gabriel brings all the girls to the yard! On top of his good looks, I loved how well developed as a character Gabriel is. He wasn't perfect and he is dealing with a lot of issues that many teens encounter in their teen years. Initially I had a lot of hate for Layne ( because she stole Gabriel from me) but you just have to love the girl! She's a tough cookie and I can see why Gabriel would fall for a girl like her. She is not without flaws but they definitely make her even more unique and beautiful. On top of the top notch characterisation, one of the best things about the novel is the alternating perspectives. I really enjoy novels that are told from the perspectives of two protagonists and Kemmerer just seems to have a knack for that!

In a nutshell, Spark is completely swoon-worthy! Lovers of Storm will definitely love Spark as well, written with the same flair and prose, Kemmerer's Spark is an excellent addition to this steamy series! Beautifully written, fantastic characterisation and an interesting plot. Spark is both a love story and a coming to age novel. It is fantasy and it is contemporary. Definitely find time to pick up and read Spark because it's not one to be missed!

What's it Worth? - Hand Over the Paycheck

Badass Bookie xx

3 comments:

  1. Love your review! I thought Spark was absolutely amazing, even better than Storm! I never thought I'd love Gabriel more than the others, but I totally do now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG OMG OMG.
    LISA.

    SO... you kind of maybe liked it? Just a *little* bit? MAYBE?!

    AMAZING review, hon, seriously. I LOVE how you called fantasy/contemporary (YES!) and Gabriel is just... ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the fantastic execute , I research few material on this web page and I consider that your web page is rattling interesting and contains categories of fantastic information.

    ReplyDelete