Saturday, March 3, 2012

Original Sin

Review Time! I'm finally getting on top of my TBR pile - this week I managed to read THREE books! Might not sound like a lot but to me that's HUGE! I finally got around to reading Original Sin by Lisa Desrochers, I read Personal Demons as a 2010 Debut and I never got around to reading the sequel until now! Thanks to Pan Macmillan for the review copy!

(Goodreads) Luc Cain was born and raised in Hell, but he isn’t feeling as demonic as usual lately—thanks to Frannie Cavanaugh and the unique power she never realized she had. But you can’t desert Hell without consequences, and suddenly Frannie and Luc find themselves targeted by the same demons who used to be Luc’s allies.

Left with few options, Frannie and Luc accept the protection of Heaven and one of its most powerful angels, Gabe. Unfortunately, Luc isn’t the only one affected by Frannie, and it isn’t long before Gabe realizes that being around her is too…tempting. Rather than risk losing his wings, he leaves Frannie and Luc under the protection of her recently-acquired guardian angel.

Which would be fine, but Gabe is barely out the door before an assortment of demons appears—and they’re not leaving without dragging Luc back to Hell with them. Hell won’t give up and Heaven won’t give in. Frannie’s guardian exercises all the power he has to keep them away, but the demons are willing to hurt anyone close to Frannie in order to get what they want. It will take everything she has and then some to stay out of Hell’s grasp.

And not everyone will get out of it alive.


The Short Story? - Is it just me or did everyone else like Original Sin so much better than Personal Demons. I liked the first book but I LOVED this one! Fantastic plot, great character development and enough drama to rival any episode of Gossip Girl! Well-written and comfortable to slip into, Original Sin is a big treat for everyone!

The Long Story? - My thoughts on Personal Demons are a little rusty but I remembered liking it BUT it was overly amazing! However I can honestly say I enjoyed Original Sin from cover the cover. Dark, seductive and addictive, the novel is filled with drama, good vs. evil and steamy romance! The plot is more intense, complex and not so heavily focused on the love life of Frannie and Luc. Original Sin focused on the bigger picture, a build up to what will be an epic showdown in the final book of the trilogy. A heart-pounding adventure filled to the brim with uncovered secrets, ultimate betrayals, double-faced liars and one heck of a cliff-hanger! Desrochers has written an electrifying sequel that hopefully leads to an even better finale! Looking forward to the next book!

As I mentioned in the Short Story, there are some really good character developments going on in this novel. I can't really remember my first impressions of Frannie but she has toughened up and she can now hold her own. Add that to her sweet personality and you have a great protagonist. I didn't really like Luc in Personal Demons because he was such a "guy" and I wasn't convinced of the romance between Frannie and Luc but throughout Original Sin, readers got to see a different side of Luc and NOW I'm convinced that he really cares about Frannie. This also means I've kinda changed from Team Gabe to Team Luc ( although I still completely adore Gabe there is no denying the attraction and "rightness" of Frannie and Luc). There are other developments in the cast but I'm not going to mention them because I don't want to spoil it!

In a nutshell, a) read this book because it's brilliant and b) I apologise for the choppy review - this is what happens when I leave books on the review pile for too long. Desrochers has truly gotten it right this time and I can't not wait to read the next book in the trilogy! Great plot, fantastic characterisation and well-written! Original Sin is a heart-pounding, unputdownable new take on Heaven and Hell!


What's it Worth? - Hand Over the Paycheck

Badass Bookie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment