Breakfast with the Bookie is a semi-weekly feature here @ Badass Bookie which is making a reappearance in 2012. Every other Wednesday morning, let's all grab our teas and coffees to gather and discuss and share our opinions! Everyone is welcome to join and make sure you leave a comment to state your opinion. Don't be shy!
This Week's Topic - My Two Cents on Giveaway Hops
Okay so recently I did a Breakfast with the Bookie on Giveaway: Are We Bribing Our Followers and I guess this is like a follow-up discussion about Giveaway Hops. I mentioned briefly in the first post that one of my peeves is the "Must Follow on GFC" rule and that kind of carries on into this post. This week - I will explore further into the topic of Giveaways! Beware - major ranting ahead.
In theory the concept of a giveaway hop is great. Massive giveaway of books, short and beneficial to both host and the entrees. In reality - it's a nightmare. There I said it - giveaway hops suck. There must have been point my blogging career where I liked them because I used to enter them all the time! And then I came to a revelation - I'm not going to be entering or participating giveaway hops EVER.
1) Too Many Giveaway Hops - If there weren't so many giveaway hops maybe I wouldn't be so put out with them but it's gotten to point where it's ridiculous. There are at least 3 every month! You can find a giveaway hop for every weird occasion ( Lunar giveaway hop...really?) and when there isn't an occasion to host one - let's just host one anyway! Honestly, I have nothing against all the wonderful bloggers who go out of the way to host them but the idea of the giveaway hop has been corrupted.
2) They Clog Up Your Feed - I don't know about you but my dashboard looks like this three days out of five a week - Giveaway Hop, Giveaway Hop, Giveaway Hop, Giveaway Hop, Review, Giveaway Hop, Giveaway Hop, Giveaway Hop, Giveaway Hop, Interview, Giveaway Hop, Giveaway Hop, Giveaway Hop. What happened to book blogging? Where can I read some of these mysterious things called "reviews" and "interviews"?
3) Benefitting Who? - AGAIN. Must Follow on GFC - I'm sorry but I thought a giveaway hop is meant to be you know a giveaway hop. Not a chance to bribe followers! I completely understand that people want to get a little back for what they give but why force someone to follow you? Make it optional - you might find that people will become more willing to visit your blog and comment on non-giveaway posts
4) Waste of Time - Downside of so many giveaways to enter is that you spend the bulk of you sunday afternoon sitting there ENTERING THEM ALL. With so many hoops to jump - it takes 10 minutes give or take a few to just enter one of them! And then you ask yourself - how many times have you actually won? 0 and how many winners are there? 1 or 2. In the end - it's just a waste of time!
5) What Book is That? - I love discovering new books and all but a giveaway hop is meant to be about giving books that are desirable to read. I find blogs that giveaway E-Books I've never heard of and looks quite terrible or worse, non-fiction! I also find blogs who giveaway books that they don't want anymore - the terrible ones that you want to just burn... Seriously, what are you giving away?
In all - giveaways just don't make the cut for me and I know lots of people like them! That's perfectly fine - this is just my two cents :) And now, what's your two cents on giveaway hops?
Badass Bookie xx