Thursday, April 21, 2011

Abandon

Review Time! So two weeks ago Pan Macmillian contacted me about reviewing Abandon by Meg Cabot and well, being a huge fan of her writing, I said yes! Anyway, I was very excited to read this book and now I'm very excited to review it....

(Goodreads ) Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back. But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid. Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away . . . especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most. But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.

The Short Story ? - Abandon is to be praised for it's fantastic originality! A brand new novel from one of our favourite authors, it's fast-paced, suspenseful and beautifully written. Fantastic characterisation and brilliant plot, you can't go wrong with Meg Cabot!

The Long Story ? - When I think Meg Cabot I think teen contemporary and love stories, so I was a little surprised to read that Abandon was a dark, paranormal and "serious". Honestly, I wasn't sure I was going to like, I'm always hesitant about reading novels written in genres that aren't what the author usually writes and quite frankly I don't enjoy them very much. However, like I said you can't go wrong with Meg Cabot and well Abandon was fantastic!

The characters in this novel was really well portrayed, Pierce is a protagonist that everyone could relate to on some level, a little bit of a wall flower, been through everything the world has thrown at her, a little bit of an outsider and not really knowing what she's capable of. One of the best things about Meg's writing is that she's fantastic at describing characters, Pierce is just so real to me! John on the other hand was too good to be real! He was just A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, I can't tell you how many books where the love interested the "cliched" good-looking, blond hair, blue eyes etc etc but John....*sigh* he's not classically handsome but handsome in his own non-cliched way ;) Plus, he's personality is really cute!

The writing was fantastic too! It's comfortable to read and the language used is simple! It was easy to follow and along and get sucked into the novel, it was so addictive! I couldn't put the book down, the writing lured me in and I just had to finish the book! Meg Cabot is one of my favourite authors and the very reason for that is because she's a brilliant writer! Maybe it's just me but some books I have read are just too awkwardly written or the language is too complex to really relax and just enjoy it, I found that with Abandon even if we're talking death and underworld it was still a pretty relaxing read!

However for me the highlight would be the plot! Totally original and exciting! Full of twists and turns, secrets and dark pasts that are slowly revealed along the duration of the novel! Abandon takes suspense to a whole new level! Not to mention the cliff hanger ending! Dark, romantic and addictive, Abandon is one of my favourite paranormals of the year! Looking for a new book to love? Bookie recommends Abandon!

Rating 5/5 ( Beautiful cover too!)

Badass Bookie xx

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I wasn't sure if i wanted to read this or not coz I kinda disliked Insatiable. Guess I'll go get my copy now. and I love the cover too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked it. Thanks for the review! I'm waiting to get this. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review.I totally agree,I love all of Meg Cabot's books.She's just amazing.Adding this book to my TBR list.
    Mia
    http://bookaholic5.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked it! I already preordered mine awhile back. I miss Meg's supernatural books. She did write this one called The Mediator series, 6 books long and it was amazing! My fave from her. The first 4 were written under a penname Jenny Caroll--although now they were reprinted with Meg Cabot. They were awesome! When she started turning towards more contemporary books I kind of lost interest in her writing. But now I am so psyched!

    But check out her Mediator series! It was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT review!!!! Love it! This book looks A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does sound good. I've seen it beginning to pop up in some blogs and it is definitely one that I would like to read at some point.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so lucky! I've been pining for this book for a few months now, I'm glad you liked it! I can't wait to get my hands on it :)
    And the cover is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your review!!! This book sounds great. Just confirms that I NEED to read it soon =).

    ReplyDelete