Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Personal Demons

Review Time! Last night, I finished Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers, I received this copy for review last week so thank-you to Pan Macmillian! Lisa Desrochers is a 2010 debut author, Personal Demons is her first novel and these are my first impressions...

The Short Story ? - A satisfying read that was beautifully written. Fantastic plot, original and a great balance between the paranormal and the...normal. One of the better debuts of 2010!

The Long Story ? - The book is about a girl called Frannie who has special talents that both heaven and hell are fighting for. Luc is sent by hell to tag Frannie's soul, however heaven in the form of Gabriel would do anything to stop him. Of course along the way there is plenty of romance too.

I found that one of the best things about this book was the fact that the beginning wasn't long and boring. It started pretty much straightaway, meaning a) I didn't have to wait for the book to get interesting and b) readers are immediately clued in about the characters. Comfortable writing style that is easy to get use to, original plot, great ending and strong characters. I'm also impressed by the author's knowledge of vintage mustangs. Personal Demons does bring in the typical love triangle however surprisingly it doesn't have impact on me. It was difficult to choose between Luc and Gabe because while Luc's emotions are like an open book ( haha literally!!!. bad pun ;P)  Gabe's  emotions were kind of hidden from readers, I found  that I didn't get to understand Gabe as much as I would have liked to. A great deal of pun usage ( a little bit too much). However besides that the book was really good! I love how Frannie was portrayed as strong and independent, how Luc challenges our beliefs that all demons are evil ( or are they?) and how the author takes originality to a whole new level! Brilliant book that I highly recommend all lovers of the paranormal to read, again amazing debut! I definitely look forward to the next book in the series. Rating - 4/5

Badass Bookie xx

3 comments:

  1. I noticed the pun's, too. It almost became a running gag (in my mind!). I hear we'll see more of Gabe's POV in the third book. I'm looking forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book and how everything tied in. I can't wait to see what descion Franni makes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued. My eyes are dead tired, so I only read the short review. But thanks for giving me a short insight into what to expect. :)

    ReplyDelete