Thursday, January 24, 2013

Legend


Review Time! Legend by Marie Lu is a 2011 YA Debut which makes it - quite old. I hadn't had much luck with this book with two copies getting lost in the mail until I finally got my hands on a copy! Legend has been picked up by Hollywood and will be made into film! YAY LET US CONQUER HOLLYWOOD TOGETHER. You can purchase a copy of Legend from Fishpond | The Nile | Booktopia | Bookworld.

(Goodreads) What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

The Short Story? - I really enjoyed this book! I did have a few minor problems with the novel but overall I can definitely see the appeal of Legend to the YA market! Lu is a brilliant writer and Legend is a stand out among the dystopian genre with it's intense action and beautiful romance. Loved the alternating perspective and great world building. Highly recommended to fans of edgy YA dystopian! Expect a cat and mouse game with an expected twist!

The Long Story? - I don't know why but I got the impression upon picking up the book that I wasn't going to enjoy it, luckily I was wrong and I *did* enjoy it. There were aspects of Legend that seemed a little generic and predictable but on the whole it was a refreshingly original addition to the dystopian genre. I liked the cat and mouse aspect of the novel and I liked the bombshells Lu dropped right at the end. I didn't start off loving the story, it was a little slow and I just didn't see badass aspect of the novel I was expecting but as the novel progressed I saw a lot more action. Legend actually ended up being one of those books that I found very hard to put down! The romance was very well executed as well and more importantly - NO LOVE TRIANGLE. I also loved the world building, I've always had a fascination with the military and to combine that with a futuristic society and a criminal on the wrong side of the law - Lu really did put a lot of thought into the plot. Definitely not a waste of time, I can't wait to read Prodigy!

Initially I didn't know what to make of June, she was so distant and unemotional that it was hard to "get" her as a character. However at the same time it reflected quite well the theme of a controlling society. She wasn't allowed to let her emotions get in the way of serving the republic. As the novel progressed June did become more approachable and when Day came into the picture I *really* started to like her. I also loved the prodigy aspect of June, some people might argue that perfection is boring but June isn't perfect and being a prodigy only made her a unique and extraordinary. While I did end up loving June it was really Day that made the novel for me. His fierce love for his family and his devotion to doing whatever was possible to help them is deeply moving. However it was Day's older brother John who stole my heart. OMG this gorgeous boy stole me heart and then broke it with his sacrifice for Day, that loyalty between the brothers is a true bromance! Great characterisation on Lu's part!

If you don't mind a little bit of a wait at the start of the novel, Legend is one to pick up. Filled with intense action, romance, betrayal and secret agendas - the futuristic world of the republic is more twisted than words can describe. Fantastic characters and beautifully written, June and Day are definitely up to something and I can't wait to find out what in the sequel! Two thumbs up for Legend!

What's it worth? - Hand Over The Paycheck

Badass Bookie xx

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book and cannot wait for Prodigy to be released-dying to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me awhile to finally get around to reading this one too, but once I did I LOVED it! I'm so glad you liked it too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard super awesome things about this one and even had it from the library for a couple of weeks, but I never got around to reading it. I guess I should, huh? As long as there's a little romance I'm happy! Great review :)

    -Jessica (Peace Love Books)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just about to read this book, apparently the story was inspired by Les Miserables. Nice review, got a new follower right here!

    ReplyDelete