Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Jenna and Jonah's Fauxmance

Review Time! Jenna and Jonah’s Fauxmance by Emily Franklin and Brendan Halpin was released earlier this year. I’m a sucker for books that alternate between male and female protagonists so I just had to check the book out! Thanks to Bloomsbury for the review copy!


(Goodread) Fans of romance don't need to look any further than the fauxmance brewing between teen idols Charlie Tracker and Fielding Withers-known on their hit TV show as Jenna and Jonah, next-door neighbors flush with the excitement of first love. But it's their off-screen relationship that has helped cement their fame, as passionate fans follow their every PDA. They grace the covers of magazines week after week. Their fan club has chapters all over the country. The only problem is their off-screen romance is one big publicity stunt, and Charlie and Fielding can't stand to be in the same room. Still, it's a great gig, so even when the cameras stop rolling, the show must go on, and on, and on. . . . Until the pesky paparazzi blow their cover, and Charlie and Fielding must disappear to weather the media storm. It's not until they're far off the grid of the Hollywood circuit that they realize that there's more to each of them than shiny hair and a winning smile

The Short Story? – Fun and fluffy, one of the cutest romance novels I’ve read this year! Told from alternating perspectives of Jenna and Jonah, this novel is fantastic! What’s not to love about teen celebrities and romance? A total sweetheart, this one is for fans of Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares and Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist.

The Long Story? – It was love at first sight. Or first read. Hi, I’m Lisa and I’m a romance junkie, my drug of choice is cute, funny, fluffy YA romance novels. I’m a self-confessed addict to Jenna and Jonah’s Fauxmance and I hope Franklin and Halpin write a second book because I just can’t get enough. Totally awesome novel!

The plot was really too cute. It’s a little clichéd but it was meant to be that way, it wasn’t a case where the authors tried too hard and accidently turned the book into one big cliché but more like it was deliberately meant to be predictable. This is really one of those novels where the plot surrounds the romance instead of the other way around. It had a nice flow to it and where the book lacked in adventure (sorry no quest or life-saving moments) it made up in originality. I liked how the novel is based around these two co-stars who hate each other but have to put on a Fauxmance. There’s drama and it’s just how I would imagine Hollywood to be. Again, I repeat myself it’s very cute and it’s one for all to enjoy!

The characterization was my favourite thing. I loved Jenna (aka Charlie) and Jonah (aka Fielding aka Aaron), they both amazing characters who are wonderfully portrayed and developed. It might be a co-author thing but the personalities of our protagonists really stood-out, they were so real and unique. It was (kind of) a “finding-yourself” novel and the changes in our protagonists were really distinctive in the end. Lots of development throughout the novel and they’re both just so hard not to love. Funny, sarcastic and cute.

The writing was really good. Franklin and Halpin have different writing styles that are very distinctive as they alternate between Jenna and Jonah. They’re very different but somehow they fit together rather nicely, it flows instead of being disjointed. It’s a very cute read only about 200 pages and it’s definitely easy and comfortable enough that you could finish it in one sitting!

I know I’m starting to sound like a broken record but I repeat myself for the gazillionth time, it’s really too cute to miss! If you love romance, drama and YA then what are you doing reading this review??? You should be heading to The Book Depository and buying yourself a copy! Funny, fluffy and fantastic, one of the cutest romances I have read this year! Well-written, original and amazing. Round of applause for Franklin and Halpin!

Rating – 5/5


Badass Bookie xx

8 comments:

  1. I added it to my wishlist right away. I love the sound of this one because it sounds so different. I wonder if it feels like you (the reader) is behind the scenes with a big secret. So fun! Fab-tastic review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this a week or two ago and forgot about it. Now I really have to read it :o

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, excited! I've been wanting to buy this was would back out last minute because of iffy reviews. Back in the basket it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved this one! It was s cute and fluffy and made me feel all warm and fuzzy after reading it :P. Glad you enjoyed it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I am so excited! I have been contemplating on buying this book, but now I am going to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun concept and they apparently pulled it off brilliantly! I'll give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked Nick and Norah, so I'll have to give this one a try. Thanks for the review!

    Also, I’m a new follower—awesome blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this book! It was such a fun, easy, summer read!

    ReplyDelete